Chapter One (Sample)

My complaint never made it to the mayors office. Once the school board had shot us down I raised a major stink, accusing anyone who dared to side with them of being homophobic and closed minded. Adam was prepared to take the high road on this one, even if it meant disappointing me, he just didn't want to deal with the drama. I couldn't blame him really, he was never comfortable in the spotlight, preferring to hang back quietly while a corrupt system trampled all over his right to be himself. No, his plan was to blend in, go along with whatever he was told, and not ruffle feathers.

I just couldn't do that. It wasn't in me. I began a protest directed at the principal, the PTA, the school board, and any student that opposed me. I posted flyers around the school urging other students to join my cause by boycotting the senior prom. Yeah, I was actually boycotting the prom. I'd made more than a few enemies attacking the last and most important dance of our high school careers but I was a man on a mission. Since being told that our tickets would not be honored if Adam and I choose to attend prom as a couple I had one goal in mind. Either the decision would be overturned, or I was going to ruin the prom for everyone.

I know that sounds petty and selfish but from my point of view, they'd already ruined it for me, so why should anyone else get to enjoy it. Why, just because they were straight? It was a matter of principal at this point. I wasn't going to be told who I was allowed to date and I wanted to dance with my boyfriend at my senior prom! That's all there was to it.

We were told that we could attend if we each had female dates. That pissed me off more than anything. Who the hell did these people think they were? I'd never hid my sexuality before and I wasn't about to now. At the end of the day on Friday, one week before the prom I was called to the principals office to discuss my rather blatant attack on the dance committee.

Okay, so I didn't actually attack them. I'd broke into the auditorium and replaced the streamers and other decorations with gay pride ornamentation, a marked improvement in my opinion. The dance committee didn't agree and neither did the principal. They demanded to know where I'd stashed the real decorations and after twenty minutes of arguing I finally gave in and told them. I was then given a week's suspension, denied access to the dance (even with a female partner), and escorted off school property. I guess they thought they solved their problem. I wouldn't be in school for the next week and therefore could not cause any more trouble. Wrong!

The prom was being held a week from Saturday and I had every intention of going, rules be damned. In my disillusioned eighteen-year-old mind I had every right to be there and they weren't about to take it away from me. I purchased my suit a month ago, white with a pink top, and a ty-dyed rose boutonniere. I suppose some could say I was trying to shove my sexuality down the throats of those that didn't agree with my lifestyle but in all honesty, I just wanted to show that I was proud of who I was, proud of Adam, and not scared to live my life in the open. I saw nothing wrong with my choices and I didn't want anyone to think I was ashamed to be gay.

So, that Saturday, I showered and got dressed up. I had tied my long, auburn, hair back into a ponytail at the nape of my neck, securing it with a pink bow that matched my dress shirt. I then braided it and fastened the end with a black hair tie. I looked good. I smelled good. Was clean shaven and honestly looked as respectful as I could. I could have shown up in a prom dress and tiara but that was pushing it. This way, they at least couldn't complain about my attire, I hoped.

I called Adam, knowing his stance on the whole issue, and told him that I was going to go, with or without him. I would have preferred with but I wanted to make a statement and I respected him enough not to force him to go along with me if he really didn't want to. This was my fight and I was going to march into that auditorium with my head held high. I figured they would kick me out almost immediately once I'd walked in but if I made it that far then I'd be happy with showing them that they couldn't break my spirits, that I'd won. That was all I wanted really. If they let me stay, great. If not, I'd leave with my head held high, no real harm done.