Chapter 2

Maverick furrowed his brows and blinked, trying his hardest to clear the fog in his brain. "Sir?" He asked again. He was desperate for an awsner.

"I said you're getting a new RIO." He relayed.

"But, sir, I thought I was over? I thought you were through with me?"

The commander thought for a second. He's right. He's got a point too. In all honesty, he should be through. Ever since the first fly-by, his wings were meant to be taken immediately. But things are tight with the Navy right now. There was no room for loosing a good pilot like him. And he thought, well, maybe Maverick's got a point. Maybe his RIOs just weren't right for him. He thought that maybe if they found a better backseater for him, he'd shape up.

Besides, his new, soon-to-be RIO is lucky to be here in the first place.

The two should work well together with their backstories and determination. Plus their idiotism when not on duty.

"Yes. Yes, that's very true. And I wouldn't mind if you were busted for good because that means I wouldn't be having to deal with you every day," He gave a short and small chuckle. Maverick wasn't amused. But he knew he was right.

"But something tells me this guy will be good for you."

"Why?" He asked immediately, his tone almost angry.

The man raised his brows slightly at Maverick's audacity. He must really be pissed about getting another RIO.

"Because," he replied back with the same tone. "I'm tired of your attitude."

That awsner wasn't at all good enough for Maverick. Not at all.

What kind of information is that? That doesn't explain anything! Maverick's thoughts were running a mile a minute. He had so much to say but he couldn't just lash out onto the man in front of him. But then maybe that would end his career right there and he wouldn't even have the chance to meet this guy. The idea of that theory gave him a little hope, but unfortunately that meant he wouldn't be a fighter pilot anymore.

He had no choice.

He was going to have to meet this new guy.

Unless,

"But, sir, can't I just continue using the guys I've been using when we fly? They're good for me." He decided to try.

The commander held his hand up in dismissal, closing his eyes with a sigh. He opened his eyes. "I already told you that the reason you aren't doing good is because your RIOs are moving on without you. They're getting higher and even better and are off with the better ones too. You're a hell of a pilot, but your RIOs aren't good for the position you're in." He explained again. "Plus, you don't get along with any of them."

Maverick locked his jaw.

"No, you don't get to get mad at me. A part of being a fighter pilot is to work well with others. You, Maverick, are terrible at that. You think that you're the only in this when you have a guy in the back to worry about. Including his family. He's there to help you. You need to help him out too. You need to work together with him."

Maverick wanted to just walk out of the room all together.

Stinger thought about what to say next.

He knew the next thing he said, has to count.

Otherwise, he might just lose him all together.

"You're wanting to be the best of the best. In order to be the best of the best you've got to stop being selfish. You just might care about the people around you, especially when it comes to keeping them safe and letting them come home, but that's when you draw the line."