Chapter 8

Maverick and Goose had plenty more flights together after their little incident. Over the days, they hadn't run into any trouble like they did last week. There weren't any engine losses, or bird strikes, or any bad encounters with enemies.

They had made contact with bogies, but they got them off their tail real quick.

It was almost as if they had taken one look at them, and then decided they weren't taking a chance with those two. Those were Maverick's words.

He wouldn't let the guys on the carrier live that story down.

It had been like that for the remaining three months on ship.

The flying had been going great, only one week left...

But then Maverick had messed their reputation of good days up by doing a fly-by.

Shocking.

The only good news that came out of it, according to Maverick, was that he hadn't gotten yelled at for over four months.

That wasn't going to save him in the slightest when it comes time for the butt busting.

But the pilot couldn't help himself after the previous flight he and Goose had. The crew kept telling him it wasn't safe to keep trying to get the bogies out of their space, but he just told them that's what makes it fun. Of course.

After one final order, Maverick smirked, watching the two jets turn around and fly away from them.

The commander didn't even get to finish his sentence before the aircraft controller, and Goose, had told them the jets were headed away.

So, he had to give a celebratory fly-by.

After all, he thought he deserved it.

Pete had told Goose it would be alright many of times. He said there was only two people in the room this time, and it wasn't any superiors, so what could be the worst they would do? Besides, the men in the room were laughing! They weren't mad or boggled by it. They were laughing. They were smiling.

Laughing and smiling.

That's what Maverick told himself as he stared at the wall.

The mantra bounced around in his brain, flashing through his head.

Goose wasn't too happy with Maverick as they stood at attention in the commander's room.

He sighed, his face in his hands. He looked up to Maverick, who partly wanted to give a small smile.

"Maverick." He sighed. "Did you learn nothing in the last conversation we had?"

"No sir."

Goose bit down on his tounge to stop his laughter. His eyes crinkled slightly, but he gained his composure quickly.

"That wasn't meant to be an actual question, Lieutenant."

Maverick nodded.

Of course he knew that.

He just had to get in his two words.

The commander looked to the side, then back to them. "What am I going to do with you? You couldn't just be good for the remainder of the week?"

Maverick opened his mouth to speak, but the older man cut him off.

"Rhetorical. Maverick."

He closed his mouth, smirking.

"How many times do I have to tell you? Don't. Pass. By. The. Tower." He clapped the back of his right hand onto his left palm for each word, hoping maybe it would get the point across. "How many times?" He raised his voice.