Chapter 7

Maverick walked into the living quarters to find Goose. He was worried out of his mind. Both because he almost lost the jet, and Goose. He didn't want to admit it, but he was liking the guy even more each day. It bothered him to think that, within the week he's known him, he almost lost him just like that. What really through him off the rails was when the thought crossed his mind about what his family would say. What they would think. He knew they would blame him. And he didn't want that.

He was relieved after he landed that plane. After he and Goose got out of the jet safely, after Goose was okay after he was done being checked out to make sure there wasn't any injuries.

Maverick seemed to care more about Goose at the moment than he did his own self.

And that's never how it is.

When he stepped into the room, Goose looked up.

"Hey." He gave a small grin.

Maverick smiled back softly. "Hey."

He didn't look like he was broken, but he didn't look like his normal self, either. His smile was there, but it was small. And his face seemed to be a shade lighter, which wasn't because of the soft lighting. Goose's shoulders dropped a little as he tapped his feet lightly. He sighed and glanced at his watch as Maverick sat down. Everything was silent. The only noise that was seeming to be heard was the light footsteps walking the carrier, and the noise of the ship.

"Are you okay?"

Goose looked at him. "Yeah, I'm fine. Are you?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Just still trying to wrap my head around that."

He gave a soft chuckle. "Yeah."

Maverick set his jaw and studied Goose. He wondered if he was mad at him. Why? He couldn't tell you. That's just what he thought.

He titled his head, deciding to ask. "Are you mad at me?"

Goose furrowed his brows. "Why would I be mad at you?"

He shrugged, looking over to the left. "I just thought you would be." He mumbled softly.

Goose was still puzzled. "But it wasn't your fault the jet blew an engine."

"Almost two," Maverick murmured. Goose still heard though.

His eyes widened and he raised his brows briefly. Maverick looked up to Goose, and regretted his words. He smacked a palm to his forehead and dragged it down his face. "Stupid." He told himself.

"Mav, it's not your fault. What, it's not like you flipped a switch in the jet and, poof, engines out, oh no, we're gonna die." He waved his hands around for added effect.

Maverick slipped a smile.

"I mean, c'mon." Goose smiled. "If anything, you did what you had to do. You landed the plane safely and we were okay."

"Yeah." Maverick nodded.

It was still eating at him though. The words he wanted to say were bubbling up. Boiling. They were rising from the bottom of his gut, all the way to his sealed lips. They knock on the doors. Threaten to spill. They could possibly ruin everything. A part of him wouldn't mind. The other side of it did. He just had to ask the question. One more beat of silence, one more sad smile, and he would loose it. The words would spew out. In a way, word vomit. He couldn't control it. He couldn't help it. He spit out the five little words that are always racking on someone's mind.

"But what if we didn't?"

"Maverick."

He looked up.