014. ━ a broken-hearted girl and her aunt

chapter fourteen ━ a broken-hearted girl and her aunt( original chapter )

( original chapter )

❝Surprise?❞

"𝐑𝐔𝐃𝐘, 𝐈 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 to throw parties even though they rarely go well, but are you sure this is a good idea?" Kim asked, sitting on Jack's shoulders while they struggled to attach streamers to the ceiling. "Ronnie doesn't really seem like a party type—especially surprise parties."

"Oh, she'll love it," Rudy replied, waving off the blonde's concern. "Milton, help me set up this piñata that I got."

"A little busy, Rudy," Milton said and his friends looked over to see he was tangled in the balloon strings.

Kim walked over to him with a sigh while Jack looked at the piñata that Rudy was holding. "'Happy Sweet Sixteen'?" he read before frowning. "She's turning fifteen."

Rudy nodded. "That's why I got this marker," he said before crossing out 'sixteen' and replacing it with 'fifteen'. "See? She'll never know."

"'Happy Sweet Fifteen'," Kim said, rolling her eyes. "How could anyone notice that?" she asked sarcastically. "Now, what did you get her for a present."

"Why?" Rudy asked with a smile. "Worried you got her the wrong thing?"

She crossed her arms and smirked. "You got her comic books." He shrugged and went back to the sign. "So did I."

"Us, too," Milton said, gesturing between himself, Eddie, and Jerry. "What did you get her, Jack?"

"I—"

"Is there a party happening that I'm unaware of?" Everybody froze at Veronica's voice and she raised her eyebrows when they all looked at her. "What?"

Rudy shook his head. "You—You said you were gonna be at the library until four."

Veronica nodded slowly, her eyes traveling around the room. "It's 4:30," she replied when her gaze landed on the large banner that had been put in the corner. Happy Birthday, Ronnie! "It's a party for me?"

"Well, it was supposed to be a surprise," Jack said with a shrug. "We didn't take into account that we would lose track of time... Surprise?"

She smiled lightly. "Uh—thanks." She cleared her throat. "It was nice of you to plan this guys, but I think I'm just gonna head home. My dad said he was gonna try and call." She saw a small cake—vanilla—sitting on the bench and she pressed her lips together, walking out of the dojo.

"Surpr—" Bobby came out of Rudy's office and they looked at him. "Where's Veronica?"

___________________________

𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐂𝐀 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑, she always got very excited by her birthday. Her mother was an avid planner for any sort of event involving her daughter and would make every birthday special.