Chapter 37 - One Step From the Edge

Athira followed Shift's lead through the corridors, acutely aware of every second that passed her by as they ran.

"They moved us from the extraction facility in the tunnels," said Shift as they took a left. "We're below ground, though I'm not entirely sure where. What—"

Two people — Wardens or Elites, Athira really didn't care at this point — stepped out from a doorway in front of them, blocking the way. Athira didn't give them the chance to draw on their Colour before untethered Black engulfed their heads and dropped them to the floor, unconscious.

"Did they hurt you?" asked Athira stiffly.

Shift glanced at the Wardens as they passed by. "Not any more than I already was. I feigned a concussion until they got sick of it and brought Zoe in for me to shift. After that it was just questions about anything and everything — which, you'll be glad to know — they got so exasperated with my press personality that they eventually gave up."

"... Press personality?"

"You know," said Shift. "I was all, 'that's a great question, Warden, I'm glad you asked', and then you answer their question with another question and answer that instead. How else do you think I survive being constantly ambushed by journalists?"

The conversation was so normal, so casual, that for a brief moment, Athira caught a smirk tugging at the edge of her mouth. "I just assumed you thrived off the attention."

"What about you?" asked Shift, a little quieter. "Did they—"

Her smirk slipped. "I told them I wasn't talking until I saw you in person. Karma threatened you. I broke out."

"Is that why your Black's a little... everywhere?" asked Shift.

Athira glanced down at herself. The Black had stained her clothes, particularly her tunic and boots, leaving the fabric hard and glossy. "I guess."

"What about—" As they turned the corner into a wider hallway, Shift cut off with a groan and came to a stop. "Oh, come on."

Athira halted beside him and looked up.

Discord — Indigo's commanding Elite — was striding down the hallway towards them, fully garbed in his Yellow combat suit.

Athira raised a hand, intending to knock him out and move on without ever hearing his nasally voice when Shift grabbed her wrist and stopped her.

"Wait," breathed Shift, keeping a loose hold of her wrist as she lowered it. "He might know where the others are."

"Why does this not surprise me?" said Discord, stopping some five metres short of them, his nose wrinkled into its usual sneer. "I could tell there was something wrong with you at your Keeper interview, but as it turns out, the entire damned team is rotten."

"Which I'm sure has nothing to do with your amazing leadership skills, Discord," said Shift lightly.

Discord's sneer evolved into a whole new level of contempt Athira hadn't thought possible for humans to exhibit.

"Do you have any idea how much trouble I'm in with the Wardens?" he snapped. "Like it's my fault you're all a bunch of Underground sympathisers sneaking around behind my back."

"How thoughtless of us," said Shift, his voice hard. "We really should have considered your career when we decided to do something about the Warden's fatal experiments on unwilling civilians. I honestly don't know how I'll ever forgive myself."

"I'm going to enjoy dragging both of you back to the Wardens in binders," said Discord. He smirked; his gaze fixed on Athira as a phantom breeze stirred her hair. "We were due for your final assessment today. This seems like a fitting way to fail you."