24: Charles Aznavour & Homemade Sherry

Seth and Archer pick me up two days before Christmas. Leia's at her Nana's house with her horrible aunt until Christmas eve, then her brother's picking her up to take her back to her dad's, where she'll be spending Christmas with the woman-child. She's obviously thrilled.

I'm trading one house of noise and chaos for another. Normally, I'm the kid left behind, but this year, I'm having my first family Christmas.

The drive back to Oxfordshire is slow but entertaining. Archer mumbles along to the Christmas songs on the radio.

Seth turns the music down. "Don't make me call the RSPCA."

Archer turns it back up and warbles along to Mariah Carey.

I try to tune it out while I run through my list of presents, convinced I've left someone out. It makes me feel guilty that I don't have money to buy presents, but I didn't want to show up empty-handed, so I got them a tub of chocolates to share. Then I drew pictures of everyone, colouring them with the pens the boys got me for my birthday. I did one for Daniel, even though I don't know where to send it. If he doesn't show up, I'll leave it at the priory. I drew him on his knees on the roof of his broken-down car, weeping at the selection of crappy petrol station birthday cards scattered around him.

When the music takes an irredeemably cheesy turn for the worse, forcing Seth to turn it off, I ask, "Have you seen Amethyst?"

Archer shakes his head. "They're gone."

"What? Gone, gone?"

"I dunno. They all just disappeared."

"When? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Only yesterday," Archer says. "The twins saw them all drive off."

"Removal vans?"

"That's exactly what Mum asked." Seth glances at me in the rear-view mirror. "Ezra said there was a gnarly old pickup, a white van, a black BMW, and a silver Peugeot."

"Do you think they've gone for good?"

"No," says Seth. "Dad went out there this morning."

"Did he?" Archer asks, voice rising.

"All the furniture is still there," Seth says. "And the cupboards are full of pickles and an obsessive number of teapots."

"He went through their stuff?" I can't believe Magnus would do something like that. "Jesus, he could've been arrested."

"The tapestry wasn't there though," says Seth.

"Yeah, not surprised. I don't think Mara would go anywhere without it," I say. "She was grossly over-excited when she got it."

"Unlike that blonde woman," says Archer. "She looked like she just sat down and died."

As we turn onto the priory's driveway, passing the angel statues, my stomach somersaults with excitement.

I'm home.

* * *

The priory smells amazing, all cinnamon, fudge, and fires. The minute I walk through the door, my cheeks and nose tingle with the heat. My coat sails from my fingers into the cupboard in the hall, just like the boys' coats fly from theirs. They both laugh at me for picking up family habits. Seth leaves my case by the dumbwaiter in the connecting corridor outside the kitchen. I pull my bag close to my shoulder and follow the boys along the gallery to the drawing room, excitement bubbling in my belly.

"Oh, Violet," Eden cries out, getting to her feet along with everyone else. She holds her arms open, and I slide into them, into vanilla spiced warmth. "We weren't expecting you for at least another half hour." When I let go, she's glaring at Seth. "You must've driven like the bloody devil."