Chapter 11

November 12, 2019

"Have you seen Mitch?" Whitney asks.

"No. Why?" Tim asks.

"He was pretty drunk and looking for you."

Tim is concerned. Mitch doesn't drink.

"I'll look for him. Bring him to the front door if you find him first."

"Okay," Whitney replies.

Tim goes upstairs to start looking. He hears sounds from behind a door. He opens it and finds the captains of the male and female soccer teams. He apologizes and continues his search. The third door he opens he sees his ex sitting on the bed.

Stepbrother, he corrects himself. Even when he's staring at you with lidded eyes.

"Mitch, Mitch." Tim waves a hand in front of his face.

"Tim?"

"Yes, Mitch. What are you thinking, drinking like this?"

He gets up more steady then Tim was expecting. Walks to the door and closes it. Tim is surprised by the look in his eyes.

"Mitch. What are you doing drinking? What's got you acting strange?"

"You. I've spent weeks in the same room as you. Unable to touch you. Unable to kiss you."

"You are the one who dumped me and harshly might I add," Tim says, annoyed.

"Only because it was best for you. It hurt me so bad being unable to even talk to you."

"We talk."

"Oh, yeah? Not really. We talk as stepbrothers, not as exes." Mitch whines.

"I think stepbrothers talk more often than exes."

"But it's all polite and related to family things. You don't talk like you used to know me through and through."

"You dumped me. The same day I found out my dad had secretly gotten married. And my ex would be sharing my room. All in one day. You treated me politely first. I was just going with what you wanted."

"I want you," Mitch says, kissing Tim.

He hasn't touched a drink but Tim gets swept up in the familiarity. He kisses Mitch back, turns them around, and pushes Mitch onto the bed.

Mitch moans and Tim separates himself. He comes back to reality. Remembering they're step-brothers, they're exes. They shouldn't be doing this.

"Timothy." Mitch whispers and Tim doesn't care. He kisses him again.

They are full-on making out when the door opens.

"Sorry I was looking for... Tim is that you? And Mitch?" Whitney comes in and closes the door. "As best friend I demand to know what's going on here."

Tim sighs because he doesn't know.

"I'm making a move. Can't you see that?" Mitch asks.

"He's drunk and I'm taking him home," Tim says, looking at Mitch, who is shirtless. Fail.

"Liquor gives the courage to tell truths."

Tim hands him his shirt and stands up.

"Be careful," Whitney says.

"From Mitch? I'm fine."

"You were on top of him. He's your first love. Be careful." She emphasizes and opens the door.

Tim turns and sees Mitch covering his eyes from the light.

"Sorry dude. We've got to walk through that hallway."