Chapter 12

November 15, 2019

Mitch is so nervous when he wakes up. After this, he may be back with his love or the dream will be further away.

He dresses quickly, grabs his backpack and runs upstairs. He slides the collage under the attic door.

How is Tim sleeping in there, Mitch wonders. He leaves the house. On the drive to school, he realizes that he skipped breakfast.

Drive thru it is.

----- ----- -----

"So?" Whitney comes up.

"Nothing." Mitch says. "I was hoping he texted you."

"What did you do wrong?"

"What do you mean?"

"My plan was solid. What went wrong?"

"I slide the collage under the side room door."

"He's probably in his bedroom."

"I'm in his bedroom."

"No, his upstairs bedroom."

"He has two bedrooms?"

"I think it made him feel less lonely when his dad was working overnight."

"So he's not in the side room, is he?"

"The room next door."

"Okay. Round 2."

----- ----- -----

Mitch rushes home after practices. He goes upstairs and tries the door to the side room. It is unlocked but there's no collage on the floor.

Good to know he's moving around.

He slides the collage of them in 8th grade under the correct door.

Mitch hears movement.

----- ----- -----

November 16, 2019

Mitch tries not to think about the fact that there's radio silence from Tim. Not even Whitney has heard from him.

He slides collage 3 under the door. Their first year together. This time he's written a note on the back. "I love you. Please forgive me."

He goes about the school day numb.

"I got a text." Whitney says finding him at lunch.

"What did it say?"

Whitney shows him her phone.

T: I know you helped Mitch with the collages. Thanks.

Mitch smiles.

Contact!

----- ----- -----

Mitch feels a bit more confident as he works on collage number 4. Tim is talking to people again.

He works out for a bit while the glue dries.

After his shower, he checks the pictures. They are dry.

There's some room on the front so he writes "I want to make you smile again." On the back a simple "you are the love of my life."

Mitch goes upstairs with the collage. Even though he's more confident, he's also scared. What if TIm was just talking to his best friend?

But he said thanks. That implies he's happy with the collages. Then why isn't he coming out? There's only one left and then he promised Whitney he'd give Tim space.

This is so nerve racking.

"Are you going to give me collage 4? Or just going to stand there all day?"