ONE

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙤𝙣𝙚 :
JEALOUS FOR NOTHING

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     FREYA WAS STRUGGLING not to jump over the bar and strangle the man in front of her

It had already been a long day of staking out while she waited for her target to show face, but in the late hours of the night, it seemed all the irritating rich men had left their business jobs and wanted to make their failing marriages everyone else's problems. She pitied the women who had to deal with these situations on a day-to-day schedule.

     It had gotten so bad that before she left for the night, she was making herself a Jack and Coke.

     "Surely your boss wouldn't mind if I got your number, right?" The man was saying. His voice was equivalent to nails scratching a chalkboard. Though Freya was trying to look pleasant, not wanting to get in trouble or ruin the bar's good name, she was struggling to hide her growing irritation.

     Freya's stoic stare didn't falter, "I doubt he would, but I do."

Her boss was her handler. And her handler was a woman ten years older than Freya who was in the midst of a rocky relationship with her wife. Her handler would definitely like the excuse to shout at someone, and if it ended up being this random man, she didn't think her handler would mind the target.

     Her bold claim caught one of the go-buyers attention. She did not sound excited. And even though Tangerine was technically on a job, he couldn't help but look over at the scene. What he saw was a failed attempt of getting the beautiful bartender's number, and a sore loser.

     The man inched closer to the bar, practically leaning over, "I asked nicely, but—"

     "Hey, mate, back off." It took Tangerine a few seconds before he realized it had been him who spoke up as he made his way to the bar. His brother, Lemon, watched from afar with scrunched eyebrows, wondering why his brother had diverted from the mission, "Let the lady enjoy herself."

     The older man left the situation, but his presence was hardly missed by the two who simply looked at each other.

     Freya decided to continue chatting to the handsome man, "Bold of you to assume I'm enjoying yourself."

     Intrigued, Tangerine got a bit closer, "Are you not?"

     "Not particularly." Freya tilted her head, "You didn't send him away just to take his place, did you?"