Chapter 5

"I really don't want to overstay my welcome, Alfred..." 

It had been a week of India living in America's house, ever since he had rescued her from Russia in a very hero like fashion. It had been a blast at first, Alfred had distracted her with all kinds of fun activities, and taken her sight-seeing around his large country.

However, now, Y/N's feelings of unease resurfaced. She was homesick. She missed her land, and not to mention, her mind had been so plagued by recent events that she'd completely forgotten to notify Nepal and Bhutan of her whereabouts. They must be worried sick.

"When I told you to think of my house as your house, I meant it, India," Alfred frowned, taking an apple pie out of the oven, "You're not overstaying anything."

"I appreciate that so much, but I have to get back to my house urgently. I'm at risk of war with two countries."

"Right... Pakistan and Russia." America sighed, "That's kind of why you need to stay here. It's for the best that you stay here, at least for another week. I'm sure you don't want to be kidnapped again."

"No, I don't." India admitted.

Alfred smiled, glad that the subject had been dropped and the tension was diffused. He cut two large slices of the pie and plated them, giving one to Y/N. She gratefully accepted and took a bite in silence.

"I just... I'm worried. I have no news of how my country's doing and I need to notify my boss and my sisters that I'm safe."

"Don't worry," Alfred stated, "I've already alerted them. You can't be in contact in case Russia or your brother intercept your message and matters get worse."

India nodded slowly, "Can I at least get a newspaper to see how India is-"

"How's the pie?" America cut her off, shooting her a dazzling smile.

Her small smile tugged downwards, becoming a gentle frown for just a second before her happier expression returned, "It's good."

The two continued to eat in a comfortable silence, or at least, that's how it felt to Alfred. India had entered a phase of suspicion due to Alfred repeatedly ignoring her questions. Perhaps he was hiding something from her. She picked up quickly on these kinds of things.

"Alfred, do you have today's newspaper?" She asked again, firmer this time.

He shook his head, "I don't read newspapers, honey, sorry."

"Well, can we watch the news for a bit?"

"I don't have a cable subscription, the TV is just for gaming." He chuckled.

"I see..." India muttered, "Well, can I borrow a device to see the news? I left my phone back at my house since I didn't expect to be away so long."

"Sorry, honey, I keep disappointing you," He smiled apologetically, "There is no wifi in these dense woods."

"Oh."

"Seriously, don't worry. Your country is fine." He attempted to comfort.

India nodded, but the cogs in her brain were turning at a million miles per hour. It was true that Alfred's home was very isolated, and she'd only seen him use his TV to play video games, and that newspapers were never delivered here. However, his insistence still bothered her. 

She was snapped out of her thoughts by Pari the peafowl brushing against her leg under the table. Quickly finishing up her pie, she stood and took her plate to the sink.

"I'm going to take Pari out for a bit." She smiled.

Alfred nodded, "Sure. Don't get lost, it's tricky to navigate around here! Even if you do, the hero will come save you."