Chapter 6

"I didn't mean for you to find out."

"That was obvious to me before I even left the house," India informed America, "but my question is why? Why didn't you tell me that Russia had declared war on you?"

"Actually... I declared war on Russia."

There was no sounds in the kitchen other than Alfred's rhythmic chopping of an onion. India inhaled deeply, trying to contain her shock.

"Why?" She repeated.

"For you!" Alfred exclaimed, throwing the knife down on the chopping board and spinning around quickly. Frustration was evident in his eyes. He took a deep breath then ran a hand through his now messy hair.

"I couldn't let him get away with doing what he did to you." He was now breathing heavily, panic settling on his features as India's gaze hardened.

"You realize that you're both nuclear superpowers? Do you know what this could mean for the rest of the world?!" She exclaimed, slamming her cup of chai down harshly on the wooden table where she sat.

"Honey, relax." Alfred chuckled, trying to diffuse the atmosphere.

"No, Alfred, this is serious. How could you even take such a rash decision without consulting me? This was my battle before it was yours, and to think that you didn't even want me to know about it!" Y/N was deeply touched.

"I'm sorry," he sighed, "In hindsight, I should've told you."

"No shit." India muttered, exasperated.

"But I knew that you'd immediately jump in to help. That's just how you are, and I didn't want that. I didn't want you getting hurt or impacted by any of it."

"Why would you do that for me?"

America gulped, a visible shiver ran through his body despite the room being very warm, "Because I love you."

"What?" Y/N failed to hear his whisper.

"I love you!" He yelled, causing her to flinch back a bit in surprise.

"I have for a really long time. Since we first met, I've loved you. We've always had this amazing friendship that I've always cherished but I can't find myself denying how much I love you. I would do anything for you, including declaring war on Russia. I don't just do that for any friend."

India calmly sat there through the entire declaration of America's love for her. Once he finished, she avoided his gaze and looked down at her now cold chai. 

"Despite all that, you don't go starting wars for the one you love and keep them in the dark about it." She stated. In her peripheral vision, she saw Alfred hang his head in shame.

She sighed, "Alfred..." her tone was softer now, "You mean a lot to me. You're kind, funny, sort of a dumbass, but in an endearing way... however, I can't return your feelings."

Her gaze finally fell onto America's crestfallen face. Guilt hit her, but only for a second. She truly didn't know he felt this way about her, but now that she did, she couldn't give him false hope.

"I apologize," she said, "I admire you a lot, and I hope this doesn't strain our current relationship."

A forced smile made its way onto his face, "No problem, honey! Thanks for being honest, I guess."

She nodded awkwardly, "It's the least I can do..."

Alfred turned around and continued his chopping. A now very awkward silence filled the room, even though the initial tension had diffused.

"Um... Alfred, I think I have to return home tomorrow. I'd feel more comfortable sending troops to aid you." 

India watched as the man froze up. His muscles tightening uncomfortably. He audibly sighed, but continued his chopping as he spoke.