Chapter 4

"The apple pie was amazing, my love. I really enjoyed it." Dan said, standing at the dressing mirror admiring his charm. "And will you pass me my blue tie."

    "Huh. What... Oh, your tie, here you are." Kate said absence minded,  handing Dan his tie.

    "What is it, my love? You don't like my outfit? Just say it, and I can put on that gray one that you love." Dan commented, acknowledging the great tenseness on his wife's face.

    "It's not the suit I am worried about. It's Anikka. She has really changed. I can't get through to her anymore, and it's worrying me, I think I've completely lost control over my Anikka." Kate said, trying not to cry.

     "You worry too much sometimes, our daughter is growing up, moreover she's just doing fine, so quit  worrying, okay, my love."

    "Well, I guess you are right, Dan. I'll try to see the bright side of it." Kate commented, putting down Dan's collar.

     "I know I'm right, Anikka is just fine. Now pass me my bag. I don't want to be late for work."

     Later that afternoon...

    With her back against the beach, she waited for Manuel to show up at crayton Park but all in vain.

    She had been waiting for almost an hour.

    As she sat on the bench, motionless, tense, and her face hard and pale, her breathing rapidly, but she was much more curious than afraid.

    She was sitting behind a certain couple, who were busy kissing, hugging, and fooling around just like lovers do.

     She sat  watching them closely and listening to the persuasive voice she had grown used listening to.

    'Oh please, don't tell me that you are jealous.' said the voice. 'Don't give up yet Anikka, our Manuel is gonna show up it's just a matter of waiting.'

    "Am sure Manuel will come, he must have delayed because he has a lot of work at the office. Am sure his gonna come cause he loves me as much as I do.' she thought.

    She folded up her beautiful slender legs on the beach and hid her face in her hands.

    She remained in the same position for quite some time.

    "Anikka daring, is that you?" a woman's voice called out behind her.

    The voice passed through her like a sharp sword.

     She held up her head to see who it was as the woman moved in front of Anikka.

     Just as she feared, it was really her Sarah Palin. Manuel's best friend.

     Sarah Palin was such a hot number that you want a second look. Maybe you are driving a car at a time of seeing her. Most likely, you'll run up on the curb or have a collision.

     Then, again, you may be walking along the street, and turning your head as she passes, you even bang into the wall or a person.

    Well, Sarah was one of those take-a-second-look-babe. You know what I mean, don't you? An all-metal blonde with a build-up that does something to you and a figure that weakens your resistance.

      "I am so glad to see you." Anikka said, standing up to hug Sarah.

     "I missed you Anikka, I am so glad I've run into you. I tried calling you to inform you that I am back in kabwe, but your phone was off." she removed an  handkerchief from her purse, spread it on the bench, and sat. 

      "What you doing here all by yourself?"

     "Am actually waiting for Manuel, but it's been an hour and a half now, and his nowhere to be seen. Do you think his gonna stood up on me again?"

     She moved comfortably on the bench and touched Anikka's shoulder with sympathy, "listen daring am really not sure what Manuel's motives are, but one thing I can tell you is that, don't let a man torment you like this, his not worth it trust me Anikka. Maybe these are the signs that he no longer needs you. It's painful, but it's true."

     "How can you say that say, of all the people you know how much Manuel means to me, I love that man with all my heart and am not gonna give him up that easily and am sure he loves me too, he must be cought up with a lot of work at the office." Anikka said and meant it.

     Sarah's expression changed to constriction but managed to control it as she met Anikka's gaze.

     "I don't mean to offend you, but I am Manuel's best friend, and I know him very well.... And have you gotten any luck with employment?" Sarah asked, changing the topic.

     "Not yet, I handed in several applications but not even one response."

     "Too bad, but the offer of you helping me out at my flower shop is still open, and please don't say no again."

     "I appreciate your offer, Sarah, but I can't accept it, I will just keep on trying my luck."

     "Alright, it's fine, in case you change your mind, my flower shop business will be waiting for you." she said forcing a smile, "instead of sitting here getting sunburn why don't you and I go have some fun just to lighten you up, this afternoon one of my friend is throwing a party and I would love if you could come with me please."

     "I don't know, Sarah, the party and all sounds nice, but what if Manuel shows up and?"

     "Don't worry about Manuel if he really wanted to come he could have been here an hour ago, and tomorrow morning I will personally go to his office and confront him for not showing up and I will make sure that he makes it up to you, trust me Sarah am his best friend, his definitely gonna do it, so can we now go, we don't wanna miss out a lot, now do we?"

     "I guess you are right. You are a great friend, Sarah. I don't know what I could have done without you!" exclaimed Anikka and  hugged Sarah.   

      "Don't thank me yet, I'm just trana help, you can thank me later."