4 | As Wide As It Would Go

He groaned

He groaned. "Never mind. We'll talk about it later."

"There's nothing left to talk about." He shrugged.

"Okay, then, new subject," I said. I'd almost forgotten my worries about this afternoon — had that been his intention? "What did Jimin see today at lunch?"

My eyes were fixed on his face as I spoke, measuring his reaction. His expression was composed; there was only the slightest hardening of his topaz eyes. "He's been seeing Suga in a strange place, somewhere in the southwest, she thinks, near his former . . .family. But he has no conscious intentions to go back." He sighed. "It's got her worried."

"Oh." That was nothing close to what I'd been expecting. But of course it made sense that Jimin would be watching out for Suga's future. He was his soul mate, his true other half, though they weren't as flamboyant about their relationship as Rosé and Emmett were. "Why didn't you tell me before?"

"I didn't realize you'd noticed," he said. "It's probably nothing important, in any case."

My imagination was sadly out of control. I'd taken a perfectly normal afternoon and twisted it until it looked like Taehyung was going out of his way to keep things from me. I needed therapy.

We went downstairs to work on our homework, just in case Jaewoo showed up early. Taehyung finished in minutes; I slogged laboriously through my calculus until I decided it was time to fix Jaewoo's dinner.

Taehyung helped, making faces every so often at the raw ingredients — human food was mildly repulsive to him. I made stroganoff from Grandma Jeon's recipe, because I was sucking up. It wasn't one of my favorites, but it would please Jaewoo.

Jaewoo seemed to already be in a good mood when he got home

Jaewoo seemed to already be in a good mood when he got home. He didn't even go out of his way to be rude to Taehyung. Taehyung excused himself from eating with us, as usual. The sound of the nightly news drifted from the front room, but I doubted Taehyung was really watching.

After forcing down three helpings, Jaewoo kicked his feet up on the spare chair and folded his hands contentedly across his distended stomach.

"That was great, Kookie."