6 | Mike Uttered Under His Breath

"You could have called us," Taehyung said in a steel-hard voice.

"Sorry," Minghyu answered, his face twisting into a sneer. "I don't have any leeches on my speed dial."

"You could have reached me on Kook's cell, of course."

Minghyu's jaw flexed, and his brows pulled together. He didn't answer.

"This is hardly the place, Minghyu. Could we discuss this later?"

"Sure, sure. I'll stop by your crypt after school." Minghyu snorted. "What's wrong with now?"

Taehyung looked around pointedly, his eyes resting on the witnesses who were just barely out of hearing range. A few people were hesitating on the sidewalk, their eyes bright with expectation. Like they were hoping a fight might break out to alleviate the tedium of another Monday morning. I saw Tyler Crowley
nudge Austin Marks, and they both paused on their way to class.

"I already know what you came to say," Taehyung reminded Minghyu in a voice so low that I could barely make it out. "Message delivered. Consider us warned."

Taehyung glanced down at me for a fleeting second with worried eyes

"Warned?" I asked blankly. "What are you talking about?"

"You didn't tell him?" Minghyu asked, his eyes widening with disbelief. "What, were you afraid he'd take our side?"

"Please drop it, Minghyu," Taehyung said in an even voice.

"Why?" Minghyu challenged.

I frowned in confusion. "What don't I know? Tae?"

Taehyung just glared at Minghyu as if he hadn't heard me.

"Minghyu?"

Minghyu raised his eyebrow at me. "He didn't tell you that his big . . .brother crossed the line Saturday night?" he asked, his tone thickly layered with sarcasm. Then his eyes flickered back to Taehyung. "Dino was totally justified in —"