30 | The Reason We're Here

The wolves muttered again

The wolves muttered again. This time the sound was wary.

"It's good for them to learn some respect," Taehyung murmured, amused. Then he spoke louder. "My
turn." He squeezed my hand before he let it go.

Jimin came to take his place beside me. "Cool, huh?" he asked me smugly.

"Very," I agreed, not looking away from Taehyung as he glided noiselessly toward Suga, his movements lithe and watchful as a tiger. And that's what he was, my tiger.

"I've got my eye on you, Kook," Jimin whispered suddenly, his voice pitched so low that I could barely hear, though his lips were at my ear.

My gaze flickered to his face and then back to Taehyung. He was intent on Suga, both of them feinting as he closed the distance.

Jimin's expression was full of reproach.

"I'll warn him if your plans get any more defined," he threatened in the same low murmur. "It doesn't help anything for you to put yourself in danger. Do you think either of them would give up if you died? They'd still fight, we all would. You can't change anything, so just be good, okay?"

I grimaced, trying to ignore him.

"I'm watching," he repeated.

Taehyung had closed on Suga now, and this fight was more even than either of the others. Suga had the century of experience to guide him, and he tried to go on instinct alone as much as he could, but his thoughts always gave him away a fraction of a second before he acted. Taehyung was slightly faster, but the moves Suga used were unfamiliar to him. They came at each other again and again, neither one able to gain the advantage, instinctive snarls erupting constantly. It was hard to watch, but harder to look away. They moved too fast for me to really understand what they were doing.

Now and then the sharp eyes of the wolves would catch my attention. I had a feeling the wolves were getting more out of this than I was — maybe more than they should.

Eventually, Joon cleared his throat. Suga laughed, and took a step back. Taehyung straightened up and grinned at him.

"Back to work," Suga consented. "We'll call it a draw."