9

"it's not your fault."

gunwook lifts his hand at the sentence and he watches his hyung wrap his hand with gauze before closing the first-aid box.

"it's not your fault," hao gives him a small smile. "an accident happened and if you beat yourself over it, nothing will get better. i know you, and you would never put your own teammate in danger."

"hyung, i tried, really," gunwook feels like he wants to cry. "i didn't mean to lose hold but it just happened."

"hey, calm down. do you want to explain what happened?"

the younger takes a moment to have his breathing straight before starting to recall the moment.

"you know there's the transition after the first verse?" the manager nods. "i have about 12 seconds to run to the middle and get into position before jihun does his part. today, someone's foot was where i had to be so before i could get into my correct placement and brace myself, jihun was already jumping towards me and we both tumble down."

"wait, rewind back," hao could barely believe what he was hearing. "you're telling me that jihun was already coming in your direction before you got into position? gunwook, do you know what this means?"

"...that i took too long to get in the right place...?"

"no, i mean that jihun is in the wrong here. you said you have time to get into your position before he does?" 

gunwook nods. 

"then he should've seen you trying to figure things out and see you're not ready. if that's the case, then jihun definitely knows better than to just go ahead with it, even if it means stopping the practice by not going with the move, it's safer for everyone."

zhang hao sighs and ruffles his hair.

"of course, we don't know what went through his mind but that's just my thought."

the student stays quiet. everything the older said sounded right, as much as he didn't want to admit.

"hyung, what if you said is right?"

he looks up with a sad expression.

"what if jihun did this on purpose?"

"if he admits to that, he'll have to face the consequences. in under no circumstance should anyone's safety be put at risk. i'll go get jihun and talk to him so go back to practice but be careful."

hao pulls gunwook into a tight hug before letting him go. once the latter leaves the office, the manager then sets off toward the bathroom.

.

.

.

"jihun, are you in here?" zhang hao calls into the bathroom. one of the stall doors is closed and he could see two feet on the floor. "please come out, i just want to talk."

after a couple of seconds, the student unlocks the stall and comes out, his cheeks red and with an unreadable expression on his face.

"i heard what happened and wanted to ask if you're fine."

"i'm fine hyung, i was just surprised," jihun faces down, preventing hao from seeing his face.

"what happened? i'm not putting the blame on anyone, i just want to know what happened."

"didn't you ask gunwook that already? then you should know the answer already."

"it's best to hear from both sides. so, if you're ready, then you can tell me."