-3-

The next day at school was one gloomy day. Fiki came to school but avoided me. She behaved like I didn't exist and it broke my heart. However, I didn't go after her this time. I felt drained to the core. Lately, I realized spending time with her made me sad, stressed and heartbroken. I decided to give myself a break. I was still worried for her but she made it very hard for me. In class, I could barely focus. My thoughts kept drifting to her and how she was doing. Over at her desk, she was busy dotting down notes for Literature class, a copy of Romeo and Juliet open on the table. Raha was still at History class. It hit me that apart from Fiki, I didn't have any other close friend to talk to. Maybe that's why I was deeply affected by Fikis absence and silence. Maybe I should take back History class, at least i'll be close to my desired companion. I sighed and went back to my book. 

JULIET :    Go, get thee hence, for I will not away. 

 Exit FRIAR LAURENCE .

What's here? a cup, closed in my true love's hand? Poison, I see, hath been his timeless end: O churl! drunk all, and left no friendly drop To help me after? I will kiss thy lips; Haply some poison yet doth hang on them, To make die with a restorative. 

( Kisses him)

Thy lips are warm.

First Watchman[Within]:    Lead, boy: which way? 

JULIET :    Yea, noise? then I'll be brief. O happy dagger! 

 (Snatching ROMEO's dagger) 

This is thy sheath; 

(Stabs herself) 

there rust, and let me die.

(Falls on ROMEO's body, and dies).

Tragedy. How could such a terrible word have such a nice ring to it? I wondered. Only writers can understand. I hated happily-ever-afters. Tragedy made everything make sense. If you build a utopia where your characters were successful in everything they did, what will be the purpose of life?

"Hey silentio."

I almost jumped. I was so deep in my thoughts I hadn't seen Mani come. She was the most brilliant girl in our class, no, in all of Form Four. She shone in every subject, especially math and the sciences. However, no one had ever beaten me in Literature, apart from Raha, once. Everyone in Fariji Girls' School knew it. I had always taken the top spot in the subject since form one. Now we were in form four and I was still unbeaten. For this reason, Mani respected me and made it her goal in life to befriend me. I liked her for her maturity but we were complete opposites. While I was gray, she was sunshine. She was friends with everyone because of her bright nature. She wasn't the type for deep talks and fantasies, she lived in the moment. I really envied that.

"Hey." I replied.

"Look, we have only one class remaining. I'm going to Cuppa for a drink after. Want to join in, you look stressed today, maybe a drink might do the trick?"

"With all your friends? You know I'm the shy type Mani.." I said quietly, smiling subtly.

"I know honey. But don't worry, I'm bringing only one friend this time. I'm not in the mood for crowds today. I got a C in Geography; I'm not going to celebrate. I'm going to lament," she said and made sniffling sounds.

I chuckled. I didn't want to go but then I remembered Fiki was being distant.

"You know what, yeah, yeah I'm coming. Remember you've said one friend. If I see more i'll freak out you know."