-6-

As soon as the bell rang after the double literature lesson, I was at Raha's side. Fiki wanted me and her to go for our duck meat ritual as usual but I declined. I wanted to spend the evening with Raha. I held her hand and we walked outside. Fiki looked at us as we went. She took her books and walked quickly, bumping my shoulder when she passed us. She looked angry but I couldn't care less. I kissed Raha's hand. We planned to go to the Cuppa for coffee, then go to her place. After three months, my mother was already used to me spending the night at hers. It was the start of November, and being my birthday month, Raha wanted to spend every day of it like it was my birthday. It felt really amazing, to have someone who actually cared enough to celebrate my birthday for even a day. My family itself didn't remember my birthday. Everyone's birthday passed like any normal day. My chest was bubbling with delight; bliss; exhilaration.

At the small café, Raha gave me a present. No one ever gave me presents. It touched my heart deeply that she would do it for me. It was an mp3 player, with the most beautiful design. It had a smooth polished wood exterior as its cover, with well-shaped spaces for the buttons. The Louis Vuitton logo was engraved on the side. I looked at it, my eyes shining with gratitude. I admired it with the utmost devotion, as if a newly found treasure.

"It's really beautiful," I told her, holding her hand.

"It was my paternal grandmothers'," she said. "She gave it to me before she died, said her father gave it to her in her high school days. She was among my favorite people in our family. We were close. Now I'm giving it to my favorite person, You..."

She smiled at the wide grin on my face.

"I'll treasure it forever," I said sincerely.

We walked home under the navy sky. The disappearing sunset beamed its last light on the horizon.

"The sky is beautiful..." she said, looking up.

"It is," I replied and held her hand tighter. I wanted our walk to last forever.

When we got to her neighborhood, we went towards the back of the line of houses, where the trees grew more densely. Past the barbed wire fence, the shallow river flowed, and we could hear the faint sound of the water. As soon as we got to the first tree, she pulled me by the neck for a kiss. Our kiss was usually slow and rhythmic but this time, as soon as I felt her lips on mine, a fiery desire came from below my navel and all I wanted was to pin her down and give her the best night of her life. It wasn't slow, the kiss was fast, passionate, demanding. Her moans got lost in my mouth as I caressed her waist and pulled her tightly against me. I put my hands under her school shirt to feel her skin. My fingers glazed her lacy bra as I went higher. Her moans became more urgent as I reached her nipple. I caressed softly, still kissing her. She helped me take off my school jacket and put her hands on my neck as I went under her skirt. I felt her nails dig into my skin as she held onto me. Her moans drove me crazy. My fingers reached her panties.

"Stop," she said, breathing deeply.

I stopped. "Why..." I said, looking at her.

"It's late, let's go home..." she said, giving me her sexy smoky look. I didn't say anything. I took our bags and helped her fix up. I didn't want her family to know what we were up to as soon as they saw us. It was already dusk. The sky already had a few stars and the crickets had already started chirping. I always looked forward to going to her place. The feeling of family was always what I looked forward to the most. The warmth of community. When her home came to view, she turned to me.

"How do I look?" she asked, smoothing down her hair.

"Exceptionally ordinary, love," I said smiling.

She smiled and reached out to take a small tree bark off my hair. She kissed me on the face.