VII.

"And I can see you, up against the wall with me"

Today is the Kangaroo Hop, aka the middle school dance. Being a sophomore, I normally wouldn't go to a middle school dance, but as former Kangaroo royalty, I'm forced to attend.

The Louds were throwing a pre-dance party and all the 6th graders (and me) were invited. I picked out a pretty casual outfit and put my dress in a garment bag to change into later.

When I arrived, everyone was outside mingling and doing fun crafts to help prepare for the dance. Liam was interviewing a bunch of people and Lincoln was watching Rusty and Charlie.

Lori was talking to some girl who was touching up the gold on the thrones. I walked over to them as they finished up their conversation. "I have a girlfriend." the brunette girl said. Lori looked disappointed until she saw me.

"Freya! Hi!" she said, a smile appearing on her face. "Hey! Do you know where I can leave my dress?"

"You can put it in my room! Just hang it on the closet door." I nodded my head and headed up the front porch steps and into the house. As I closed the door, I saw Lynn in the living room. She was sitting on the back of the couch, baseball bat in hand.

Mr. Loud walked by me, carrying a food platter with a tin foil kangaroo on it. "Oh. Hi Freya! Would you like to try a pork dumpling?"

"No thanks. I'm not really hungry right now, but maybe later." I said, awkwardly smiling at him. He returned the smile and continued walking.

When I came downstairs, Lincoln walked in. Lynn ran over from the couch. "Hey!" She pushed Lincoln away from the stairs and nearly knocked me off my feet. "The Roosters have no runs, Lincoln!" I walked around her and stood beside Lincoln.

"Great!" he said, trying to walk past her. She grabbed his shoulders and turned him to face her, causing me to have to move out of the way quickly. Why was she acting like I wasn't there?

"They have no runs and no.. other things." she exclaimed, imitating swinging a bat. "And it's the top of the sixth!" she said, gesturing to the TV. "Cool?" Lincoln replied, most definitely as confused as I am. "Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"I'm sorry, Lynn. I'm kind of a casual baseball fan."  It was like the man on TV could hear him, and directed a message towards all casual baseball fans. He basically said that you can't get too excited when the pitcher is doing a good job, or else he'll mess up.

"You see, Lincoln?"

"Yeah. The guy's doing great, and if people tell him he's doing great, they'll jinx him, and he'll stop doing great. Gotta go." he said, turning around to leave. Lynn walked back over to the couch, completely ignoring me. I was about to say something to her when Lori came out of nowhere.

"Hey there, Casanova. You're doing pretty good with Charlie." Lincoln looked confused, yet again. "What are you talking about?"

"As a former Kangaroo Queen, I know something about young love. I'm sure Freya can see it, too. You're cracking her up, you're making balloon animals, and from where I'm standing, it's working. You're on a roll, Lincoln!"

"I am? Yeah.. I guess I am!" he said, getting excited. "Big mistake!" Lynn shouted from the living room. We all turned to look at her and her worried expression. "What?" Lori asked in disbelief.