Part 4

Peyton's POV

The kid was trying to sit on the floor, and I scared him already. Being an agent, I usually can get a good read on someone, but this kid, I'm not sure Jude had told me he had a clean record; however, as soon as we got in the car on the way home, I contacted my buddy and turns out that's not the case. He was put in solitary on his second day. The kid was fighting on his second day in Juvie, and he was put in solitary for three days. Then, when we pick him up, he is again beaten up.

That brings me to believe some things are not adding up. I don't like to be misled. But looking at this kid, he doesn't seem like a fighter. I look into his eyes and see someone who's been through a lot. I see someone I recognize.

I don't know his story, nor do I want to find out. So, I laid out the rules as I had planned before. I have a very no-bullshit attitude, which is why I'm still alive today.

Jude will say that I'm a different man from when he first met me; I am. But I am what I always will be. My family comes first.

" Gray, we have some rules. Excuse my language, but one fuck up, and you are gone. It is a privilege to be in this house. Miss Caroline, giving you a chance is more than many people would. I believe my sister-in-law when she says we can help you, and you're a good kid. But you need to prove that to me. Do you understand?"

He nods but still not looking at me. Unfortunately for me, that doesn't work. I snap my fingers " Look at me, and I need a verbal response."

His leg starts bouncing, and he looks up and responds very quietly.

"Yes, sir, sorry, sir."

Jude grabs my thigh and gives me a side-eye.

I looked back at him with my eyebrows raised. Jude then crosses his arms and allows me to continue.

"Anyway, rule number one. No drugs. You were arrested for dealing drugs. There will be no taking or distributing drugs in this household. Additionally to that, you will be taking a weekly drug test."

I look for an indication that he's listening. He looks up at me, shakes his head, and whispers, "Yes, sir."

"Good second rule, no violence. I was misinformed. I was told you had a clean record. Come to find out, and you were in solitary now. I don't know the whole story, nor do I want you to tell me, but there will be no fighting in this household; we use our words, not violence. Do you understand me?"

Again, the same response. His knees are bouncing so very heavily. His anxiousness is coming off strong, so I see Caroline starting to rub his shoulders. However, that throws the kid off even more. Perhaps I'm being too rigid. But that's the only way I do things.

"Third, trust is a big thing in this house and has to be earned. Therefore, you must ask permission to do anything extra outside school hours. When you gain our trust, you get more leniency."

"Four, you'll have chores like the other boys here. We ask you to keep your room clean and help with your laundry. The last thing, and my most important rule, is respect. This includes respect for us, our sons, your living space, and you. Now, do you have any questions?"

Gray is biting at his fingers now. I can tell he wants to say something. I'm just waiting for him to do it.

"Gray spit it out," I grunt.

Jude pinches my elbow and takes over from there.

"Sweetheart, do you have something to say? It looks like you have something to add," Jude gently states, trying to make eye contact with the boy.