My Wife Chapter 7

Amara:

I stood in front of the mirror, my heart pounding in my chest as I stared at my reflection. Today was the day I would meet Leo. I took a deep breath, trying to quell the storm of emotions raging within me, and adjusted the long beige coat that complemented my white dress. The black boots gave me a sense of strength and determination, and I tied my hair up, leaving a few loose tendrils to frame my face.

As my fingers traced the small cut above my jawline, the memory of Leo's identical mark sent a shiver down my spine. The thought of having something similar to him only feels me with rage and fear.

Zoya entered the room, her eyes filled with concern as she reminded me to be cautious around Leo. "Amara, please be careful." she urged, her voice tinged with worry.

"I know, Zee," I replied, mustering a determined smile. "But I need to do this. I'll be fine."

Her gaze softened, and she hesitated for a moment before stepping closer and placing a gentle hand on my cheek. "Just call me if you need anything. Even if it's for the silliest reason," she whispered.

I reached into my purse and discreetly grasped the familiar weight of the knife I always carried. "Noted," I assured her, waving the knife in front of her to which she nodded and I slipped the knife back in.

"Hold on," Zoya says, I stopped and looked over my shoulder waiting for her to continue. She walked over to me and grabbed my purse.

"Never put a weapon in your purse if you are in any kind of danger you won't have time to take it out from your purse. So, do this instead." She took out a band from her thigh and signaled me to lift my dress just a little and so I did. She wrapped the band around my thigh and carefully slipped the knife into it. "Now you are ready."

"Just slice his throat open if he says something which pisses you off."

"Oh, I wish."

With a soft kiss on her cheek, I made my way downstairs to face him. Leo was waiting in the foyer, looking striking in black jeans and a black shirt that emphasised his enigmatic presence. He appeared engrossed in his phone until I descended the stairs, and then his gaze locked onto me, scanning my entire being with an intensity that made my skin tingle. His eyes moved up and down. A smirk on his face, I wanted to punch that smirk right out of his face. I went closer to him and his smirk only widened.

"A little simple for a Moretti," I remarked looking at him up and down the same way he did, his smirk widened even more.

"A little simple for a Romano." He throws my sentence back at me and I fight the urge to roll my eyes.

My mother came over and planted a loving kiss on my cheek, blissfully unaware of the turmoil inside me. "Have a wonderful time, my dear," she said, her eyes glowing with maternal pride.

I managed a smile, trying to push away the thoughts that threatened to overwhelm me. "Thank you, Mom," I replied, trying to sound composed.

"Leo, please take care of her, she is still a kid, I worry." My mom turns to Leo and I once again fight the urge to roll my eyes. Leo seems to smile slightly at my mom and I wonder how it feels like to have a smile like that only to have blood of other people on his hand. Killing the people others love.

"Yes, a 25 year old kid. Very well, Mom."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we stepped out of the house, Leo's eyes remained fixed on me, and I felt a mix of fascination and unease under his scrutiny. Climbing into his car, I found myself staring out the window at the moon up in the sky.

"You love that necklace a lot don't you?" Leo's voice broke the silent atmosphere in the car and I turned my attention to him. His eyes were on the road ahead, I blinked a few times not understanding his question. He looks over at me and his gaze falls at the necklace resting on my neck making me look down at it.

"Yes, how did you even-"

"I saw you wearing it along with your diamond necklace in the event a few days back and you are wearing it now too. You keep fidgeting with it and it's a moon so just tell me that you have a lover." His voice is calm but his expression doesn't say the same. It's a weird frown making his face all tensed, not like the one where he was talking to my mom.

"A lover? Jealous?" I drop my hand which was fidgeting with the necklace and face him making sure to move carefully not to reveal the band tied around my thigh. He looks at me briefly before shifting his attention back to the road, his hands came over to me and rested on my thigh, and my breath hitched. He moved his hand up and down until... he slips the knife right out of the band and throws it at the back.

"You will be my wife, better know I won't kill you." The car stops.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thanks," I say, as he pulls the chair for me and I take a seat. Leo sits across from me and sets his phone down on the table and looks at me. He just looks at me and so do I. I just look.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~