Fifteen Days Chapter 23

Amara:

I stood in my room, gazing into the mirror, my reflection staring straight back at me. The words slipped past my lips, spoken more to reassure myself than anything else.

"Fifteen days," I whispered, the reality sinking in like a weight on my chest. In just fifteen days, I would be getting married.

The door creaked open, and Zoya entered, shutting it softly behind her. Her presence interrupted my thoughts, and I turned to acknowledge her. Zoya's expression was warm, but her perceptive eyes could see beyond the surface.

"Daniel is downstairs, waiting for you," she informed me gently.

I nodded, assuming she would leave, but I caught a glimpse of her lingering in the mirror's reflection. She moved closer, taking a seat at the edge of my bed. Concern etched her features as she sensed something was amiss.

"What's the matter, Amara?" Zoya asked, her voice soft and reassuring.

I hesitated, my gaze returning to the wall ahead. Words hovered on the tip of my tongue, emotions I hadn't fully processed yet. Zoya's hand on my shoulder prompted me to look at her, and I saw the genuine care in her eyes.

"What's bothering you? Tell me," she urged.

My shoulders slumped, and I finally voiced what had been on my mind. "I miss Kiara," I lied, my voice quivering ever so slightly. I miss her, but that was not why I acted this way.

Zoya's response was immediate. She pulled me into a comforting hug, and for a moment, I allowed myself to lean into her embrace. Her words were soothing, assuring me that everything would be fine and that there was no need to worry.

I nodded, managing a faint smile as I pulled away from her.  I returned to the mirror, looking at myself once again, determined to put on a brave face. I need to put on my mask. I can't be weak now. These are the most crucial days and I need to get closer to my revenge.

I got to my feet, left my room, and descended the stairs to where Daniel was waiting. There was a familiarity in our interaction, but a lingering awkwardness remained, a reminder of the almost-kiss that had hung between us like an unspoken question.

As I approached Daniel, I offered a warm smile, and he reciprocated. We shared a hug, a simple gesture. Despite the jitters and uncertainties, I knew that in fifteen days, I would be marrying the man who was the reason for my family and my loss.

"I know this might be awkward after what happened a week back but I think its high time we talk about it." Daniel avoided eye contact and I stood there not being able to form words as I didn't expect him to get straight to the point. "Please." He added.

I nodded my head and motioned him to follow me upstairs so no one in the house could hear us. He followed and we both made our way to my room. I closed the door as he walked forward and sat on the chair in front of my mirror. I took a seat on the edge of my bed and faced him. We both sat in silence for a bit until I broke the silence,

"Dan, I am getting married in fifteen days to Leo-" I cut myself off.

Leo. A moment. The next thing I knew was his hands in my hair as he gently tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear and cupped my cheek and he... kissed me.

"I know," Daniel broke my thoughts and I was brought back to the present. "You take the lead and I'll follow you. You want to end things then we end it. You want to be with me then I am ever ready. You want to be just friends then we be just friends." Daniel spoke with so many emotions. Everything was so visible on his face. The hurt. The pain. The anger. The nervousness. The... love?

"Just friends," I answered. Daniel broke. His expression was so painful to watch. The way the little hope in his eyes immediately left. The way his lips parted in shock. The way he slowly nodded his head.

"Alright, my friend, you need to understand that friends don't just almost kiss and forget about it." He said,

" I am getting married, Dan." I am getting married. I was trying to accept that myself.

"Marriage is a big deal." He repeated the same sentence he said when he found out about my marriage. I nodded my head.

"Marriage is a big thing especially when Indian blood is running through my veins." I tried to ease the tension between us and it worked as Daniel shot his head back and laughed loud. His laugh is contagious. I laughed along with him.

"I swear to the fucking god, Amara if she utters another word about how great her grades are I will stab her." Kiara gulped the remaining beer down her throat. I sighed heavily and grabbed the liquor from her hand.

"Enough, you had a bit too much." I knew this was a bad idea to hide her behaviour from Mom and Father but I knew how much trouble she would get into if I confronted them. Not exactly a big sister behaviour as well but ever since I was a kid I always wanted an elder sister but I didn't have one. Now, that I have a younger sister I want to be the sister I once wanted. The sister whom she can come to whenever she wants. Even in the middle of the night. She is fifteen years old right now and I know she is doing underage drinking but-

"Amara! Come on." Kiara leaned her head on my shoulder she was drunk already. I looked up at the moon. It was a beautiful night. We both were sitting on top of the mansion. The roof of the mansion. This was the place we always went to together during family gatherings or parties whenever we had something private to talk about or when we wanted to drink. 

"I seriously want to kill Natasha." The claps and laughter from everyone were audible even up here. Natasha is seventeen and ever since Kiara was sic and Nat was eight they have always competing with each other right now Kiara wants to kill Nat because Nat was first in her entire college and Kiara was fifth in her entire school. I was very proud of her but Kiara always wanted to win. 

"It's alright little one. You did your best." I smiled at her but she sat straight and tried her best to not doze off.

"Come on, we can get away with murder. We are the daughters of Mr. Mafia, our Dad!" Kiara smiled at me and I let out a chuckle at her stupidity. Kiara brought the blanket closer to her and hugged me and I stroked her hair as she fell asleep and I did not realise when I fell asleep along with her. Thankfully the beer was in a soda can. If not we both would have been caught.