Women in Mafia Chapter 8

Leo:

We sat across from each other in the luxurious ambience of the five-star hotel, the flickering candlelight casting a warm glow on Amara's face. Her eyes, the colour of rich mahogany, held a mesmerizing depth that captivated me. They were intense and enigmatic, hiding a world of secrets behind their depths. As she gazed at me, I found myself being pulled by her.

But our silent exchange came to an abrupt halt as the waitress approached to take our order. Amara composed herself and spoke, "A plate of white chicken enchiladas." I couldn't help but smile.

"What?" She asked, averting her gaze from the menu card.

"You're not like other women in the mafia," I remarked, my tone light.

She raised an eyebrow, curious. "Oh? And how so?" Amara challenged, her eyes sparking with intrigue.

"You order what you like, without hesitation," I replied, my gaze unwavering. "Most people in our world prefer to keep up appearances, even when it comes to something as simple as a dinner order."

Amara's lips curved into a smirk, and she leaned back in her chair, crossing her legs. "And aren't you supposed to eat something you like too?" she retorted playfully.

I chuckled, appreciating her quick wit. "Touché. I'll have what you're having," I replied, my interest in her growing with every passing moment. "And a glass of whisky, please," I added, turning to the waitress.

"And just so you know, I am just like other people." She remarked, before I could question her she averted her gaze from me.

"A glass of Red Wine, please." The waitress nodded and repeated the order. After the waitress left I decided to speak first, "What do you mean by you are just like other people?"

She held my gaze for a second longer and sighed, "I am just like the women in the mafia. Having a life where you aren't allowed to go out and live your life, restrictions, not allowed to ask questions, it's the same. The only thing is I don't care anymore, I have always lived this way and now I don't mind living this way." Her confession took me by surprise, we both just stared at each other until a call interrupted it. Amara was the first one to break the eye contact.

I took my phone and rose to my feet. Walking a little further away from our table I picked up the call without checking the caller Id.

"Missed me, cousin?" Now I wish I had checked the call Id. I hate his voice, I despise his face, his presence. I despise him.

"What do you want?" I asked, my voice filled with annoyance.

"Grande Elite." He replied with no hesitation. Asher has always been behind me to get his hands on the hotel I bought. I was the one to first buy it from the man who built it. The architect, but Asher never seems to understand it.

"Stop wasting your time and especially mine with this. I have already told you it is mine." I hung up the call without waiting for his response and returned to the table.

I found myself once again captivated by Amara. She had let her hair down, and the way she played with a strand of it was oddly alluring. I had to fight the urge to fist her hair and pull her towards me.

"Amara," I said as I approached her, "stop playing with your hair. It's distracting."

Her brow furrowed, and she asked, "Why? Is it bothering you?"

I hesitated for a moment, my eyes locked with hers. "Yes, it's...annoying," I lied, the words escaping before I could fully contemplate their implications.

A flicker of surprise crossed her features, but she quickly recovered, the playful smirk returning to her lips. "Well, well, Leo Moretti finds something annoying. That's a first," she teased.

I chuckled, realizing that she had effortlessly turned the tables on me. " Everything annoys me Miss Romano and if anyone annoys me too much I just kill them." I took a sip of my whisky which must have arrived when I was on a call. Her expression changed, her smirk was no longer on her lips and her eyes showed no sign. They were empty. She took a sip of her wine and nodded her head, her eyes met mine.

"I'm sure you do." She said, setting her glass back down on the table.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thanks, for joining me, Miss Romano," I said closing my car door as the car engine roared to life. Amara was tying her hair up when she stopped midway and gazed at me, her hands were tangled in her hair.

"No problem, I had...fun." She smiled at me and resumed her work, I stared at her for a second and then drove away.

The car ride was silent until..." My knife." Amara broke the silence as she gazed at me, the memory of my hand on her thigh crossed my mind, her skin was so soft like butter, the way her breathing increased at the sensation of my hand.

"Your knife." I repeated her words and she stopped her movement and gazed at me, her brows furrowed.

"Yes, my knife." She continued looking at the back of the car searching for her knife. I pushed the brakes of the car and got out of the car, I made my way to the back of the car and opened the door, upon finding the knife I hand it back to her. Our fingers graze each other and her eyes shot up to mine. Chocolate eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~