• Chapter Seventeen •

24 hours later:

"Lady and gentlemen, this is Bullseye." Stinger said from the front of the briefing room as he shifted his gaze between the aviators. "The communication ship, SS Layton, has become disabled and has wondered into foreign territory. The rescue operation is to begin within the hour. Your mission is to give air support to that rescue. There are MiGs in the area, tensions are high. If you witness a hostile act, you will return fire. Those MiGs carry the exosent anti-ship missile. They can fire that missile from a hundred miles away."

Kara glanced at Terence seated beside her before her hazel gaze met Tom's icy blues. She conversed with him silently before she settled her gaze on to Pete, whom she was worried about.

"Lady and gentlemen, this is the real thing. This is what you've been trained for. You are America's best. Make us proud." Stinger continued as he stared at the aviators seated before him. "Ice."

"Yes, sir." Tom responded.

"Ghost."

"Yes, sir." Kara replied.

"Hollywood."

"Yes." Rick answered.

"Sector Two." Stinger announced, pointing at each of them before his gaze fell to Pete. "Maverick, you back them up with Merlin on Ready Five."

Pete nodded his head slightly. "Yes, sir." He responded.

"Rise!" A Naval officer instructed, and the aviators rose to their feet in order to prepare themselves for the mission.

While Tom and Ron approached Stinger, Kara turned to Pete with a soft smile but worry evident in her hazel gaze.

"Don't worry about me." Pete said, sensing his friend's fear. "You just stay safe, okay?"

"You got it." She replied and hugged the dark-haired pilot before she headed towards the locker room with Terence to suit up in their flight gear. 

Within minutes, the duo were walking out on deck towards their jet, where they had quickly done their routine inspection of the plane.

Finding no fault, Terence turned to his pilot and held his fist out towards her. "Shall we, Ghost?" He asked.

"Let's do this." Kara replied with a firm nod and bumped her fist with his.

Kara flew between Tom and Rick - her hazel gaze falling onto the polaroid of her and Nick as she pushed all the haunting negativity aside in order to remain focused and come back from the mission safely

"Voodoo One, Voodoo One, you got a pair of bogeys." The radar operator's voice echoed in the cockpit. "Twelve o'clock, fifteen miles."

"Voodoo One, Voodoo One, zero-nine-zero. Radar contact, fifteen miles." Ron reported to the operator. "They're doing five hundred knots."