Chapter 1. The Romance

That's how it goes – hand in hand with someone, strolling along the embankment, helping a friend choose a wedding gift. A tender feeling blossoms in the heart, like a desert flower. But then it turns out it was all a game. A deception. A sham.

In the end, I found myself standing at his doorstep, gazing at him: his bare torso in a silky white shirt, his chiseled abs, the dark trail of his hair. A sigh escaped from my chest, and I instinctively licked my lips.

... A couple of weeks earlier ...

"Temari, are you ready?" Kankuro paced impatiently by the bathroom door, grumbling and moaning like an old man. "We were supposed to leave half an hour ago! The Hokage won't be pleased if we're late. What are you doing in there?"

"Almost ready!" I snapped, shutting out the wind by closing the door. I needed thorough preparation for this meeting. After all, it's not every day the Kazekage's sister becomes an official ambassador of the Sand Village in Konoha. And, even more importantly, perhaps... no, definitely! I will see Him!...

Since our last meeting, several months have passed. I merely saved that Nara fool from death again, and in return, he mustered the courage to invite me for a date. And that's it. He invited me and then went silent. No date, no notes, no apologies.

The true Nara Shikamaru! But I won't tolerate such treatment. I am the Princess of the Sand. I am a skilled kunoichi and one of the strongest shinobi of the five nations! Today, I will be at my best, so he will understand what he's losing...

"Temari, how much longer?..." My brother's dissatisfied voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Shut the hell up, Kankuro! I told you, you're ungrateful!... You ruined my entire meditation!"

Why is my brother such a nag? Not only did he complain the whole way, but he also made his dolls carry my suitcases. So what? I'm heading to an interview for a prestigious position and the chance to settle in a neighboring state permanently. Oh, and I also have a plan to prove my worth to a very clueless man! Don't worry, brother, your dolls won't break from a few kimonos. Or a few dozen, for that matter.

Right now, my dear brother, I'm almost ready. We'll make it to the Hokage's audience. And the great strategist Nara Shikamaru will undoubtedly be there since he's Assistant to Kakashi-senpai. So, a shorter skirt, a noticeable neckline, a fan, a stylish hairstyle, and light makeup... he won't be able to resist. And let Kankuro grumble by the door for another half-hour, we'll still make it. Can't I negotiate with the wind? If we're running late, we'll fly there.

As expected, we arrived on time. Kankuro knocked, and the door opened. My heart skipped a beat; soon, I would see him – that gaze from beneath half-lidded eyes, his stiff black hair always tied the same way. Inhale, exhale. Calm down, Temari; after all, you are the future ambassador of the Sand.

With confidence, I entered the Hokage's office, but to my disappointment, besides the elders and Kakashi-senpai, there was no one I wanted to see. Well, I can handle it. But Kankuro's laughter was completely out of place. I'll deal with him later. For now, I displayed impeccable diplomacy and excellent manners – as befitting a future ambassador.

The negotiations were lengthy, but we reached an agreement, and I was given documents to sign. The matter of me becoming the ambassador of the Sand was settled, but Kakashi-senpai insisted I take a couple of days to think it over. It's a kind of tradition. Well, I'll make good use of this time.

"Well, thank you for the meeting, Kankuro. Temari, I hope to see you at the headquarters!" The Sixth said calmly, almost relaxed. "Shikamaru, please escort our guest and the lady ambassador."

He's here!

"Yes, Hokage-sama," I barely heard his calm, somewhat lazy voice, and my palms started to sweat, my heart racing. Breathe, Temari. It's time! A turn, a tilt of the head, practicing my reflection in the mirror – hair perfectly styled, my profile looking quite romantic in this lighting...

And there he was, his back before me!

"Temari, no need to try so hard," my brother whispered faintly.

"You're a dead man, Kankuro, I promise you that. Now shut up and go!" I hissed through my teeth. "Goodbye, Hokage-sama!" A bow, and we left.

"Yes! Goodbye!" The Sixth replied, slouching in his chair. Kakashi has aged, and he's put on some weight. And he's relaxed. Times of peace affect us all...

"Well, are you both hungry?" Shikamaru turned to Kankuro. Why was he talking to him? He didn't even glance at me!

"Oh, I could eat a mammoth! Temari?"

"I wouldn't mind."

He continued to look past me. It's time to get back at him! Where do people usually go for a date in Konoha? Ah, yes, I read about a couple of romantic spots in the guidebook before coming here. There's a fountain under the Kage monument and a charming café called "Vanilla Paradise." I kept wondering: where would Shikamaru take me for this promised date?

"And where do you plan to take us, Shikamaru? To the fountain, perhaps? Or 'Vanilla Paradise'?" — I forced a fake smile.

He twitched, as if taken aback, but regained his composure. His gaze remained calm, as always, but at least he looked my way. Take that! No need to invite me on a date and act like I'm invisible!

"It's pretty chilly near the fountain right now, and all the places are closed. I suggest we go to the barbecue place in the center. It's spacious, and most likely, everyone who wants to talk to you is already there."

What's he trying to imply? Doesn't he want to? How dare he!

"Then let's go!" my brother cheerfully agreed.

With clenched fists, I followed behind them.