1

I still remember the Choosing as if it were yesterday. I can still feel the heat of my family's stares, even now.

You see, the Choosing is something extremely special. Once a year, on the summer stolice as the dragon eggs hatch, the 10 year olds of the kingdom are marched through the Hatchery, hoping to be Chosen by a hatchling. There are only 15 eggs. Enough for 3 squadrons a year. Of course, the two nobel families, if they have children of age, go first. That year, it was me, Samara Lawless, and Finn Pallor for the nobels. We were friends, at that point. That all changed though, when I felt a nudge on the back of my knee.

I had spun around, and saw a red glistening dragonet sat back on her haunches, staring up at me. That's when my life changed.
I heard my family's cheers in the background as I reached my hand down to her snout. This was monumental. I was the first of my parents children to be chosen, my two older sisters were not.
I knew how this went though, as I was lucky enough to grow up around my parents' dragons, and had seen the scarring on their left or right hands through forearms.

I rest my left hand on her snout, and brace myself. Sure enough, she opens her mouth, and hot agony sweeps up my arm as I fall to my knees.

The next thing I remember from that day is waking up on an infirmary bed, alongside 8 others. My parents explain to me that only 8 of the eggs hatched. They then give me the rundown of who was chosen. Finn was as well, which makes both of the nobility. It's almost unheard of. The rest of the 7 are from the lower classes.

This was 6 years ago.

Let me bring you up to speed on the now.
My name is still Samara Damaris. The dragonet, who scorched my arm in a right of passage, is Zafira. Such a scorching is necessary in any dragonrider's bond with their dragons. Women scorch their left hand+forearm, men scorch their loop right. It's just how it is. My childhood friend, Finn Pallor, is now my enemy. Why? Well, with only 8 members of our platoon, we formed two squadrons of 4. These two have to compete to prove which squadron will fly with the king and his court for our annual holiday, The Feast Of Wings and Light. We both proved ourselves to be the best riders of the group, so we were made leaders of our respective squadrons. However, this also means when we have training matches, me and Finn always have it out. His dragon is Falkor. He's a beauty, as blue as the ocean and calm as a lake.
I haven't seen my parents in 6 years.
Well, seen them up close anyways. I see them cheering for me in the stands of tournaments. Them and the Pallor's are the families of the King's council, hence them being nobility. I'm incredibly lucky to be born into the Damaris'. My mother and father taught me everything I know.
Oh, one more thing you should know.
Neither of the Pallors or Damarises had any kids after me and Finn. So not only are we locked in a competition of pride, both of our families are equally invested.
This little rivalry could very quickly turn into a battle for our lives.