killer

Josephine's pov

As we fly through space, Rubberband Man by The Spinners plays throughout the ship.

Quill sings along to the lyrics...very enthusiastically, I might add.

"Sing it, Drax!" Quill yells at Drax who's dead asleep, snoring.

But I sing along because: 1) I feel bad and 2) I actually like this song.

Gamora also decides to sing along to some of the lyrics.

"Why are we doing this again?" Rocket yawns.

"It's a distress signal, Rocket. Someone could be dying." Gamora tells him.

"I get that...but why are we doing it?" He asks again.

"Cause we're nice," Quill turns to look at Rocket on his left. "and maybe whoever it is will give us a little cheddar cheese for our effort."

"Which isn't the point." Gamora speaks up.

"Which isn't the point," Peter agrees. "I mean, if he doesn't pony up..."

"We take his ship." Drax finishes his sentence.

"Exactly!" Rocket agrees.

"B-B-BINGO!" Quill encourages.

"Alright!" Rocket says happily.

Gamora looks at Peter with a disapproving look, but he just shakes his head saying we're not actually gonna do all that.

"We are arriving." Mantis says looking at the screen in front of her.

"Alright guardians, don't forget this might be dangerous...so let's put on our mean faces." Quill says.

I look over at Mantis as she attempts to make a "mean face" and I couldn't help but laugh a little.

"What? I don't look mean enough do I?" Mantis asks me.

"I don't think you're mean at all." I say truthfully, and she smiles.

"Groot, put that thing away, now. I don't want to tell you again." Quill says in his stern dad tone.

Groot continues to play his game, ignoring Peter.

"Groot." He says again, looking back at the teen.

"I am Groot!" He cusses, rolling his eyes annoyed.

"Whoa!"

"Language!"

"Hey!"

"Wow..."

"Damn Groot."

"You got some acorns on you kid." Quill says.

"Ever since you got a little sap, you're a total d-hole. Now, keep it up, and I'm gonna smash that thing to pieces!" Rocket scolds Groot.

Once we arrive to our destination, the space around us is filled with lifeless bodies floating around aimlessly.

Everyone sits in complete shock.

"What happened?" Mantis asked.

"Oh my god..." Quill says looking around.

They weren't just bodies, they were women and children. I looked away for a moment and my eyes landed on Gamora. Her face straight, almost as if she knows exactly who did this. But I decide not to pry.

"Looks like we're not getting paid." Rocket says insensitively.

Just then a man lands on the ship, right in our view causing us to jolt and scream in fear.