Chapter 14: Layers

Doriph knocked on the hard surface door. His face lit up as Ruth opened with a grin across his face; he radiated with excitement which lured his friend in. The smell of chocolate and flour lavished the air. They moved to the kitchen, where the mess was made and 2 women were baking a unique cake.

"I'm going to, umm, ask Alice for her hand. Her girlfriends are helping me with the surprise. A cake with a dark chocolate box in the middle," He held out the ring, a handmade ring formed out of Ashwood that was passed down from generations.

Doriph couldn't hide his smile, even under the unobservant gaze of the women, "I'm asking for advice. How do you make it work?"

"You know her better than me, but from what I can gather," Doriph thought for a handful of seconds, "Do it privately; no one likes peer pressure. It is inside an edible box in a cake; let her do the cutting. And from my interactions with her, she's the type who wouldn't want a false pretence for a cake occasion."

They both smiled and hugged before Ruth "Released him", as he called it. Doriph, as he was walking, took out his ration book to look at how Ruth could make such a cake when he had one not too long ago. It was different from the usual ones other pilots get. It allowed more than the average soldier was given when home and vastly more than what civilians received; an idea came to his head.

In his black car, he had a package sitting on his beige seat. It was a small one holding a small surprise for his wife. He started it as he glanced at a poster warning, rallying potential sailors to destroy the looming German sea monster. It was just a glance; he drove off.

As he unlocked the door, he saw Mara sitting by the radio, knitting fake food. He greeted him with a warm smile and news he had already heard. The phoney food basket was a gift for the occasion, which she knew Alice would adore.

"Until I'm called again, I'll be here," He smiled as he handed the package.

A banana was hiding inside, and its rare fading green tone brought joy and a small round of questioning. Doriph dismissed it, muttering something about connections, but she persisted. It was too rare to brush off. Bringing up another topic, he pulled his unique ration book; she questioned him again; this time, he explained and satisfied her curiosity.

"Special group, special perk. I want to switch ours," He sat beside her.

"It's meant for you. I'm not-"

"Eh, I'm doing it."

"Even if I wanted a swit-"

"Which doesn't matter."

"-A switch, how are you going to-"

"Same man that brought me that banana," he smiled as he put his arm around her.

"Who is this-"

"Classified love," she cringed, which made his smile grow.

"Are you going to let me fi-"

"Nah."

She looked up and down at him as she slowly began to knit again, not taking her dark brown eyes off him as she ever so slightly sucked in her lips, soft and delicate as the 'food' she was knitting. Her cheeks radiated an enigmatic allure which was absorbed by her timeless black hair, which could absorb his gaze. The posture rivalled Doriph's broad, muscular figure; he saw through her beauty; it was the confident and slightly intimate look that hooked him on their first date. By no means was it rare to see her like this; it was Mara's normal state, but something inside him brought attention to specific features.

She laughed at the closing gap between them, snapping Doriph out of his trance, "I'll finish this basket later," she matched his smile.

They got up to head to the bedroom when the phone rang, causing a jump in their heartbeats. He went over and picked it up. He sighed as the female voice on the other end began a long list of letters and numbers in a monotone voice. Seconds later, the door knocked in a downright uncanny fashion. He received the telegram from the boy and glossed over it, a slightly different set of letters and numbers crossed his eyes. He thanked the boy and kissed his wife before heading out again.

"Sorry, it is urgent this time around. Eat the banana though, yes?"

"Yeah, you flying?"

He nodded, sending a wave of fear across the room, "I'll be back soon enough."