Chapter 45: Fragments

Electricity filled the darkness of the evening sky with bright, twinkling light, like a symphony of dazzling fireworks. Raging thunder echoed and resonated through the heavens, punctuated by flashes of jagged, sizzling electricity, bringing an atmosphere of charged stillness. The moment felt suspended, as if time itself had paused, and a mysterious serenity enveloped the abyss.

In an uneasy hush, Zelda gripped Purah, Impa, and Link tightly, Mipha embraced Sidon in her arms as she floated nearby Urbosa, whose hands readied her weapons. Suspense lingered in the air, waiting for something to burst out at any moment. All was silent as they wondered what had caused them to suddenly stop.

Mipha gingerly touched a splinter of mirror, the remnants of thousands of memories that filled the air, wondering if they belonged to her. As soon as her fingertips grazed its fragile surface, the fragment broke into tiny pieces and disappeared like smoke, lost forever.

Sooga sternly spoke with a determined voice, "These are mere remnants of her mentality, her emotional stability, her wellness, so we should be careful not to disturb them, if we shatter them more, who knows what consequence we would have to face."

"...She's always claimed her memory was lacking...this must be why," spoke softly, sheathing her blades. The desert warrior surveyed the mysterious remnant before her, and let out a curious hum. With no warning, the shard suddenly warped, shattering and radiating outwards into a broad portal. An eruption of electrical sparks billowed from the gap, and Urbosa responded swiftly, hastily raising her shield to guard her companions from the impromptu shower of lightning.

The atmosphere pulsed with an almost palpable distress; Urbosa's countenance taking on a slight visage of melancholy. "Detecting emotional distress!" Purah cried, her words rippling throughout the stillness, and as the sharp pieces of glass gently glimmered around them. Urbosa swiftly latched her shield to her skirt and reached out for Zelda's arm, gripping it tight as she pulled Link, Mipha, Sidon, Kohga, and Sooga along with them. Mipha flew across the void with a steady hold on Sidon while the other Sheikah accompanied the group.

In an instant, an incandescent, searing ray of light shone forth, illuminating their faces, and the grains of sand under their feet seemed to have hardened. As the edge of the mountain loomed nearer, Urbosa's strong arms swiftly encompassed Zelda, pulling her tightly into a protective embrace so she wouldn't fall.

The stars lit up the ebony night, their shining brightness blanketed the world below in a wash of celestial beauty. The air was chilly against the Gerudo's face, sending a shiver through her body. Urbosa slid her blades back into their scabbards and stood, surveying the grand desert that surrounded her. Its endless sand stretched out before her, endlessly shifting and rolling like waves in an ocean. In an instant, the Sheikah Slate went dark again.

"No! Seriously?!" She cried into the night air. She groaned in annoyance, "why meee..."

Impa turned her eyes upward, bewildered, as she surveyed her environment. Amongst the desolate landscape, there were various dilapidated ruins, many of which had been almost completely buried beneath the drifts of sand. They resembled the architecture of Gerudo Town - archaic doorways and majestic archways stood tall, while many were adorned with ancient ladders. Clustered around these broken-down remnants were numerous veins of ore.

"Arbiters Grounds..." Urbosa spoke softly, "how strange."

"What memory could possibly be here?" Mipha pondered, "(Y/N) would need quite a few cooling elixirs to even journey out here during the day...more so with Death Mountain."

"She often kept them handy. She did tell me about her wonderful 'infinite pouches' she created," Urbosa replied, drawing her scimitar once again, "tread lightly. Monsters and beasts litter this place like a graveyard."