Chapter 69

I know that, deep down, Deimos is looking for any means to exact his revenge

I know that, deep down, Deimos is looking for any means to exact his revenge. But,in the meantime, he must lay down his arms. Let's be honest: Angel has won. Or, ashe likes to say: 

"Checkmate, Ryuk!"

 I nearly choke on my own saliva, and Deimos doesn't fail to give him his darkestlook. So this is his nickname...the demon of Deathnote? 

"It's not enough for you to manipulate me. Do you have to play with me too?"

"It's not my fault you walk the same way."

 Deimos decides to ignore him and turn away. But my Dom is determined to teasehim to his heart's content. 

"And then...you like apples too, don't you?"

 Angel is having the time of his life. I didn't think he'd be such a tease. I've been hisvictim too, on several occasions. But I had no idea he was so fond of teasing hisfriends. He always has such a serious, terrifying face. It's so hard, sometimes, toknow what he's thinking. Whether he's second-degree or very first-degree...Still, it looks like a nice facade. He's probably too serious in public. But in private,it's quite a different show! A show that suits me. Honestly, what were the chancesthat my examiner was friends with Angel? Slim! Is my luck coming back? 

"That's enough! I don't want to hear you anymore, Bambino! "

This time, Angel gives in. Although his smile remains, he remains silent. Deimoslooks up at the sky for a long moment. Then he suddenly rests them on me. Hisgaze is so cold that my heart misses a beat. No matter how Angel beckons me notto be intimidated, I feel as if I'm staring at a dog ready to pounce on him. With hismaster standing by, assuring me that "he's as gentle as a lamb".Luckily I'm close enough to the door. That reassures me. 

"Well," he sighs. "I accept defeat. Let's get it over with!"

 Then he moves on to the other two questions. They're just as long as the first, butslightly less hard. And I find myself answering them well. In fact, I spit out Angel'sspeech word by word, without thinking. It's not that hard to keep my eyes on theteacher....I'm even very attentive. I spend every class watching him walk and smile. And whenhe sits at his desk, I watch him play with his hair. It's a bad habit he has, but I thinkit's cute. He probably doesn't even realize it. A bit like the way he bites his lipbefore lying.Not that he does it often. Angel is frank. But, sometimes, you have to motivate astudent whose gouache technique is...how can I put this? "progressing". At suchmoments, I can read the concern on his face as he says "ah, okay..." or "it justneeds practice...". 

And I always have to restrain myself from bursting out laughing.Occasionally, he meets my gaze. And, in turn, he holds back a laugh. A bit, like rightnow. Why is that? Because he can see that my perfect answers are irritating theexaminer to no end. I doubt he was even paying attention to my answers. He justsmiles when I finish. But the expression on his face is strange. He is pensive for along moment, before turning to me.