Once the snow arrives, I see him more. Not as often as we ran into each other last year. At least once a week we make time for one another. It gives me time to work on his gift for Christmas.

Draco shows up late the night before the train comes. We agreed to meet in the boathouse again. He seems keener on this place than the Room of Requirement, but he honestly doesn't seem keen on being anywhere. I'm sitting in one of the boats when he comes in. He walks across the floor and sits just outside the boat, leaning up to kiss me on the cheek.

"Sorry I'm late," he explains. "I got caught by Filch and then Slughorn and Snape both got involved."

I brush my hands through his hair, which sticks to his forehead due to the melting snow. His cloak may be warm, but it isn't waterproof. His face is wet from all the melted snow. As he pulls off the cloak, he casts a spell with his wand, drying his head.

"Isn't Slughorn having that party tonight?"

He rolls his eyes, "yes."

"Are you jealous?" I ask.

"No," he adds quickly. He turns his head to the doorway, out into the cold.

"You know, I was invited," I smile.

He glances at me with sharp eyes, "really?"

"No, I'm not even in potions" I laugh. "So, it doesn't bother you that you weren't invited, does it?"

Draco rolls his eyes.

Before he can complain anymore about the events of the evening, I dig into my bag. From inside, I pull out his gift, wrapped in brown paper. Once I have it, I move over and gesture for him to join me.

The boats aren't meant for people as tall as we are to sit next to each other and row. It's cozy, tight. I'm glad he took off his cloak otherwise it would feel like the hottest day in summer. I pass him the gift.

"Go on."

He unwraps it and pulls out the tin. It's rusty, almost dirty, with a faded label. Sal ammoniac crystals. A component often used in alchemy.

Draco furrows his brow. I smile, "open it."

He does. There are maybe twenty or so crystals inside. He picks one up, feels it in his fingers.

"You've altered it."

I nod, although I'm not sure how he knows. They are supposed to look like any other crystals. Maybe I didn't replicate the texture properly.

"They are little messages," I tell him. "If you set one of them on fire, it'll tell you the message, but it'll burn away. There is no trace of them other than the smoke, I suppose."

Temporary. Fleeting. A collection of moments meant to be burned. I've been working on them for a few weeks. Thoughts about the night he came to my town and bought a bell, musings about time magic and how best to lock us away, questions about his family and answers about mine. Sal ammoniac crystals aren't typically used at low melting points in alchemy, so if anyone else should find them, they wouldn't think to burn them.

"You can't stop yourself from using thought magic, can you?" Draco continues to examine the crystals but his question is pointed.

"It's a recording," I explain. "Not actual thoughts. I did something similar for Michael Corner in fourth year. Charms aren't all that complicated."