Chapter 24 - When THIS gets you on the desert

The training lasted two weeks but – as Seoyun said – I'll be training all my life. She also said that the real battle is the best training.

"When you're during the real deal" she explained "the adrenaline is rushing in your veins and you think completely differently than during the training. As a pureblood with royal blood you can easily lost control over your fury, so you need to avoid it, if possible. At least, until you fully control it."

It didn't make me feel better but at least I knew what to expect in the coming days. We were going to meet Hajoon's pawns, for sure, as in five days we were about to enter vampire Antarctic area.

"Hey, you're okay?" I asked, catching up with Seoyun. She seemed a bit down today.

"Yes. It's just that we have less and less time. Moon is gathering his army. I think you know about that already. We're expecting the battle to begin very soon." She stopped. "It can be even in a month."

"A month?!" I gasped, almost falling flat in the snow. From what I knew, today was November 20th. "How can we prepare for this in a month?"

"I know... I'm sorry, Your Highness."

Always, when she was addressing me per Your Highness, I had a feeling she was going to dump on me not only all responsibility but also guilt for everything that was currently happening in the world.

She must have guessed my thoughts because she softened and put her hand on my arm.

"I'm sorry," she again said. "I shouldn't have said that. It's just that... I'm worried."

Now I softened. It wasn't her freaking fault, neither mine or anyone else except Moon Hajoon. He has started everything. And everything must end with him eventually.

"We're be fine, noona," I said, squeezing her hand.

Seoyun smiled and hugged me. I felt that this overwhelming tightness around my heart burst so suddenly that I felt like crying. How weak I am... I thought I didn't remember my mother but now this hug reminded me of the touch of her arms. Images from the past loomed before my eyes like from behind a fog. The same warm smile of my mother as she cradled me to sleep...

"Your Highness?" I heard Seoyun's worried voice. "Is everything alright?"

"What?" I realized my cheeks were wet from tears. "Y-Yes... It's nothing." I passed her. "Let's go, it's going to get dark soon."

After a moment I heard snow creaking behind me.

***

We stayed for tonight... I don't know even where. We were still on the desert so beside us was no other soul. Soon we were also short of food and water. It was on the fourth day of our journey. Seoyun stayed calm but I was nearly eaten alive by panic.

"Calm down," she said. "We'll find something soon."

I doubted it would fit my hunger. I didn't tell her that but since yesterday I have been thirsty in very vampire way. I just didn't want to worry her. I wondered how long can pureblood survive without the blood.

"Minho?" Seoyun asked worried after several hours later. "Are you alright? Should we stop for a break?"

"No, it's okay," I lied. The hunger was so unbearable that my legs were heavier and heavier. "I mean... Can we rest?"

"Sure."

It didn't help though. It seemed to be even worse. I began trembling.

"Hey, you there!"

We raised our heads and saw a man, waving to us. He must have been a tourist, judging by his appearance. Seoyun smiled, probably happy that we finally find another soul who we can ask for directions.