Bare Ankles

London - 1842

'You would've won,' Bran said, drying my hair with more gentleness than Mrs Stapleton used polishing ornaments.

'Or died trying.' I turned and got onto my knees between his. 'No-one is taking my family from me. Ever.' I kissed him, my hands in his hair and his arms around me.

I tapped his knee and he sat back so I could climb onto his lap. I kissed down his neck, my fangs pinched and he hissed, sliding his hand up my leg under my nightdress.

Josef threw open the door and walked in. 'What a night.' He dropped down on the couch. 'He needs practice but points for enthusiasm.'

Bran sighed and took his hand from up my nightdress. 'We can all smell you've not had sex, Josef.'

I blinked and looked at Bran but I didn't comment in case he thought he'd done something wrong and didn't do it again.

Josef wafted his hand. 'I never said sex.' He shrugged. 'Heavy touching.'

Bran rolled his eyes.

Josef shot him a sidelong look. 'Bit of kissing. It wasn't the best.'

I shifted to sit sideways with my legs over the arm of the chair.

Josef's gaze caressed my bare feet and legs. 'And what have you been doing to get those bruises? Something interesting, I hope.'

I told him about the Werewolf Dom putting me to the test to see if I would protect Edward. Naturally, I didn't leave out the bit where she had to yield because I wouldn't stay down.

'Isobel is exceptionally strong, you're exceptionally determined. Even match, perhaps,' Josef said, rubbing his beard. 'She's very protective of her pack but a Werewolf Dom going that far is new.'

'How many vampires adopt werewolves?' I asked.

'We're not exactly a familial species,' Josef replied, watching my bare feet flex.

'Having met Richard's progeny, I never would've guessed.' I kissed Bran's jaw. 'She reckons I'm in charge. I thought this was a democracy.'

'Yes.' Josef tilted his head to the side. 'Bran and I democratically decided to do what you tell us.'

Bran nodded. 'Very true.'

I chuckled and shook my head.

'This calls for alcohol.' Josef crossed to the drinks cabinet where we'd locked Bran's alcohol supply out of reach of tiny hands. 'You didn't tell me you had rum.' Josef pulled a bottle from the back of the cabinet. 'Is this left from our pirate days?'

I looked at Bran. 'You were a pirate?'

Bran blushed. 'Briefly.'

Josef pointed at Bran with the bottle. 'That man there could shoot a man on the opposing ship in the middle of a sea battle with a flint-lock.' Josef put the bottle to his heart. 'It was the second most beautiful thing I've seen in my life.'

Bran turned a deeper shade of red.

I gave Josef a look. 'I'm not going to ask what the first was.'

'Your ankles,' he said. 'I want to kiss them.'

I pointed one foot. 'My ankles?'

'The way the shapely muscle of your calf curves into the delicate perfection.' He drew the curve in the air with his finger.

I raised my leg so I could pretend to look more closely. 'Hm. Looks like an ankle to me. What do you think, Bran?'

Eyes on my face Bran slid his hand up the back of my leg. Josef took a gulp of rum. I bent my leg.