What's a Knut?

"Mum, can I go into the city?"

"What? No, of course not."

"But you let me go last time."

"No I- wait, I did, didn't I?"

She was confused- and somehow her confusion always aided in my convincing her. I focused all my energy on imagining her saying yes.

"I'll be fine Mum, I promise."

"Well, I guess there's no harm to it."

"Thank you! I'll be back before dinner."

"Sure sweetie," she looked extremely confused, like she always did after she gave me permission to go into London and walk around. I didn't know why, but every time I focused on her saying yes, she did.

I grabbed my skateboard out of my room, then went outside.

"Where are you heading?" Someone asked as I was skating down my driveway. It was my neighbor, and friend from school, Robert.

"Just going to skate around London. Maybe shop some."

"Oh cool, have fun."

"See you at school on Monday."

"See ya."

It was Saturday, which meant I was able to escape my school for the day and the next. School wasn't hard, or even annoying. I had a lot of friends and all my teachers liked me, but I couldn't help but feel out of place. And I was as ordinary as anyone else. I had just turned 13, in the middle of the school year, which meant I wasn't much older or younger than anyone. I was average. Brown hair. Brown eyes.

One thing did set me apart from everyone else. I could will things and people to do what I wanted. It was very strange, and had started when I was about 9, and gotten progressively worse, the most noticeable increase in my abilities being when I turned 11. One of the things I did often was go into the city, skateboarding the short distance from my house in the outskirts of London, and try to will people to do things. Just simple things. Change the direction they're walking. Turn abruptly. I could also make papers fly out of peoples' hands. I could make doors open and close.

And I couldn't explain why.

In about ten minutes I was in the heart of the city, and strolling along the streets carrying my skateboard while I browsed the windows of the shops. After a few minutes of walking, I was behind a family who were dressed peculiarly. Well, the parents were. The kids, for the most part, looked normal. They all had flaming red hair.

"We have to make this trip quick," the mother said sharply.

"You said that last time we went to Diagon Alley to get our supplies.  Mum," One of the kids said. He appeared to be older than me. He was tall and lanky, and I noticed he was also a twin.