Parties Over Essays

"Have you heard about the party?"

I was sitting in my second day of NEWT Transfiguration, sat right next to Fred Weasley—who wouldn't shut up.

"What party?" I asked, taking the bait.

"In the Ravenclaw common room. Tomorrow night at 9."

"Not going."

"What, why?"

"I have a Potions essay I have to do with your brother."

"Oh yeah, Ron did mention that. Just ditch him."

"No."

"Why not. He's really not that great. Just do the essay by yourself."

"I want my weekend free, so I'm getting the essay done tomorrow."

"How boring, honestly."

"Weasley, are you going to continue talking, or can I start my lesson?" Professor McGonagall asked. I smirked, knowing she was aware that I was talking too. Though she had sat me next to him, she would always be my favorite professor—and I one of her favorite students, even if she wouldn't admit it.

"How is it that McGonagall's favorite student is a Slytherin?" Weasley asked under his breath.

"I guess I'm just that great."

"Apparently."

**************************

"I'm pissed you aren't coming with me, just so you know," Tracy informed me, putting a pair of earrings on. It was Friday night and she was getting ready for the party in the Ravenclaw common room and I was getting ready to go to the library and work on an essay.

"I just want to get this over with and have my entire weekend free," I told her. "Don't wear those, wear your black pearls," I suggested, referring to the earrings she had on.

"See, this is why I need you to come with me. You're always looking out for me." She switched earrings.

"You'll be with Stephen the whole time anyways."

"You could third wheel."

"My favorite thing to do."

"That's why you need to come—so we can get you a boyfriend."

"I'm fine."

"Well you turned down a sixth year who asked you to the party, so no you are not fine."

"He was a Gryffindor."

"You can still hit it and quit it."

"I can't believe you just said that."

"That's beside the point. You need to get out there. Any guy would be lucky to get you."

"Well, obviously," I said with a laugh. "Who wouldn't jump on this?" I gestured to my outfit-leggings and a Slytherin jumper. My hair was in a messy bun and my makeup was just the remnants of what I had put on this morning.

"How do I look?" Tracy spun around.

"Drop dead gorgeous," I told her, and she did. She was wearing a deep burgundy mini dress and tall black heels. Her hair was curled to perfection and her makeup drew attention to her ice blue eyes.

"Thank you. Now I'm going to go to the party and miss you the whole time I'm there."

"Oh hush, you'll be snogging Stephen the whole time. Try not to take it up to his dorm immediately, okay?"