Transfiguration

"For now, we'll be doing most of your schooling in here. Professor Dumbledore said he would like you to learn the practical lessons primarily, and then we can work on the bookwork. He feels confident that if you can get the practical down quickly we can put you in third year and finish up your bookwork during the school year," Professor McGonagall told me, showing me into her classroom. "I'll catch you up on Transfiguration first. You have Transfigured things before I understand?"

"That's when you change something into something else, right?"

"Yes."

"Then I have. I turned a footstool into a golden retriever at my house."

"Interesting. That is more advanced than you will get in third year. I'm going to start you with basics."

I nodded, waiting for her to continue. She conjured a match onto a nearby desk.

"The first thing you learn is how to transfigure a match into a needle."

"Oh, that's easy." I pointed my wand at the match and easily turned it into a needle.

"I didn't even tell you the spell," Professor McGonagall said.

"You need to have a spell?"

"It appears you do not. Dumbledore was right, you are a gifted witch."

"Do I need to learn the spell?"

"I don't see the point, so no. Let's go ahead and try the most difficult thing they learn in Year Two." She conjured a rat. "Into a goblet, please."

I did as she asked successfully.

"How do you do it?" I asked. She conjured another rat.

"Vera verto." Her goblet was more ornate than mine.

"How do I get my goblet to look like that?" I asked.

"From what I've heard about your magic, you just have to imagine it."

I nodded. "Can I try it with the spell?"

"If you wish." Instead of conjuring another rat, she simply transfigured the goblet back into a rat.

"Vera verto!" I said, pointing my wand at the rat. It sort of worked- my goblet had a tail. "I think I'll stick to my way."

"I think that would be wise."

"What other skills do I need to know for Transfiguration?" I asked. Over the next half hour, we went over everything else we needed to. None of it was very difficult for me.

"Can I learn more stuff?" I asked. "Transfiguration seems really cool."

"Maybe if we have time, but you have several other subjects to cover."

"What is the most advanced form of Transfiguration?"

"I'd say most people consider it to be becoming an Animungus."

"A what?"

"A wizard able to transform into a specific animal at will."

"Are there any at Hogwarts?"

"I am the only one. It is a difficult piece of magic."

"Whoa. You're an Animungus?!"

She nodded, and then, before my eyes, she turned into a cat! There were even spectacle markings around her eyes. She transformed back.

"Can I try?"

"I highly doubt you will-"

I had focused all of my willpower on becoming something I could easily picture in my head- a species of bird that was very common in my neighborhood, though I had no idea what the name of the species was. Professor McGonagall had stopped in the middle of her sentence due to the fact I had indeed become a small bird. I was standing on the floor, looking way up at her. I flew up and landed on the desk. Flying was quite fun, so I launched myself off of the desk and started making laps around the room, twittering joyfully.