Chapter Three : Warming up

Christopher had warmed up to Lotus in the past few days. Lotus wasn't present at the moment because his mother was home. He didn't exactly trust Lotus yet though. He thought she was just like one of his previous nurses and she hid that under a smile until it happened again. That one nurse led to the others getting fired. The events flooded his mind making him grow forlorn and gloomy. He started to even feel frightened. Christopher wanted to cry,but he didn't. It wasn't worth crying over right now. His Mother looked at him and grew concerned.

"Are you okay,Angel?" His mother asked. He looked at her,debating whether or not to tell her.

"Yes. "

"You sure?" Joyce pressed on. Christopher nodded. He thought that he shouldn't tell her. Christopher didn't know that would've been the best thing to do. Christopher's intellectual disability was mild,meaning he had an IQ of 50-70. That also meant he could function just a little better than those who had his disability but worse.

"Okay. Lotus is here. "Christopher quickly put a smile on his face. Lotus brought so much Joy to him. "I'll be back later. Love you Angel. "

"Love you to Mommy. "Christopher managed to say. In walked Lotus. However she wasn't wearing any scrubs. To sit in with a patient she wasn't required to wear them. She wore a blue crochet trimmed romper with a pair of black gladiator sandals. No make up at all. Christopher stared at her,mesmerized. She was so beautiful to him.

"Hello Christopher. "Lotus greeted with a smile. He waved because he couldn't find words to say. Sometimes it was hard for him to speak. It was also hard for him to speak with people who used words he didn't know ,or really long sentences.

"Hey,Lotus. "He said back with an even bigger smile. He was so happy to see her. They talked what seemed like hours after that only it was nothing but a mere 45 minutes. They really has nothing else to do so why not know each other more. Lotus made sure to keep her sentences short. She knew he had trouble comprehending long sentences.

"So what do you want to do now?" Asked Lotus. Christopher thought for a moment. There wasn't really much he could do. However, he knew he wasn't that good at adding. He wanted help. He was aware of his condition and wanted to know how to do things on his own. And so far he was managing doing that. Just with slight help ,that is.

"I wanna know how to add. I don't know how"Christopher answered. Lotus was shocked by his sudden request. She didn't think he'd want to learn how to do that. His guardian was to handle that for him.

"Okay. "Lotus had to think of the best way of explaining it to him. She didn't want to frustrate him. People with intellectual disability tend to get frustrated when they have hard times doing things. She got a pen and paper from the desk space in the house.

"Do you know how to count?" She questioned. She had hoped he did. Christopher nodded.

"Not good. "He answered. Lotus nodded and began assisting him counting. She learned he couldn't count really big numbers like any numbers over 327. So she began to help him add smaller numbers. She thought he would struggle a bit,which he did. He got frustrated a lot.

"What's 27 plus 17?" Lotus questioned. Christopher began to work the problem ,but got frustrated again when he couldn't do it.

"Take your time. "Lotus encouraged. He did as told and got 44 as his answer. He and Lotus smiled. Lotus gently laid her hair on his shoulder. Christopher flinched from her touch ,leaving Lotus confused. Why is he flinching? What did I do to him? Is there something wrong? Lotus thought. She repeated her action and he flinched once more and moved over a little.

"Are you okay,Christopher?" Lotus started. "Did I hurt you?" Christopher shook his head no.

"Did someone else hurt you?" Lotus urged. Christopher hesitantly shook his head no once more. That made Lotus think.

Someone did hurt him. But how?

>>>
Vote 🔥
Comment🔥