Chapter 8

Isaac

"Momma, are you home?!" I asked as I entered my parents' home and closed the door behind me.

I know I called both of them a few days ago to let them know that I'd be in town so I'm wondering why no one answered any of my calls this morning.

"Daddy!"

"Hey son, I'm in here!" He yelled from the den.

I walked back there and found my pops about to be crushed by his flat screen.

"What are you doing?" I asked before lifting the Tv out of his hands.

"Sit it right there on the floor" he told me.

He took a step back and began to smile.

"What you got going on man?" I laughed.

"I'm getting the den ready for my brand new Tv that I'm getting on my birthday" he said, "I'm putting this tv in the garage so I can watch it when I workout."

"For one, your birthday isn't until August. Two, you don't workout so what are you talking about?"

"Yes I do. You thought I got these guns just by looking at the gym?" He asked. "I got 'em because I put in that work. Even your momma said I'm getting swoll like method man."

"Nah she meant to say you are as skinny as a man on meth" I laughed.

"Get out my house" my pops said with a straight face but I knew he wanted to laugh too.

My mom told me that my dad has always been tall and as skinny as a toothpick.

She on the other hand, is what she likes to call fluffy and if you say the other f word that consist of three letters then there WILL be a reckoning.

Together my parents can be described as aesthetically pleasing.

"Dad you can't just kick me out" I laughed.

"Yes I can and you better not tell your momma" he laughed.

"Don't tell momma what?" My mom came from out of nowhere.

"Violet, he just hit your husband upside the head" he lied, "that boy has to go."

"You oughta stop that lying Joe!" She laughed.

"Hi son, how are you?" My mom greeted me with a warm hug.

"I'm good momma, I just thought I'd stop by before I start heading up the road" I answered, "I tried to call the both of you, I even called the house phone but nobody answered."

"Oh I'm sorry baby I was outback cleaning up what I could before the landscapers got here."

"Violet" my dad whispered.

"Landscapers? Why are you paying good money for a landscaper when both of your sons own one of the most reliable landscaping businesses from Sumner to here?" I asked.

My parents act like it's a crime to ask for help.

"Well your time is usually tied up during the summer. And besides you and your brother need to start practicing for the rodeo. Y'all don't need that added stress."

"What are y'all trying to do?" I asked, ignoring everything my mom just said.

"I just want those dead patches in my grass fixed and some mulberry bushes planted around the borders, maybe four or five."

"Y'all trippin about a couple of mulberry bushes?" I laughed, "Zay and I can do that in our sleep."

"She's not done" my dad frowned.