Chapter 8

_ . _

Chapter 8

"It's time for my shift." A knight approached the knight standing outside the entrance of the tent and tapped his shoulder. "You should go with the others and eat. I'll take over from now."

The knight on guard heaved a breath of relief and gazed at his comrade with hopeful eyes, "Thank goodness. I was starving for a long time. Did you have news on the subjugation?"

The other knight shook his head, "Not yet. It seems that it will take a long time than usual. The captain said that the monsters are in a breeding season, so they're more hostile than usual in order to protect the small ones."

"That's harsh." The knight replied. "I hope no one dies this time."

"You can't make sure of that." The other knight replied. "We've been killing monsters over centuries now. No matter how much we destroy their nests and habitats, they just keeps appearing everywhere with the same numbers."

The knight sighed and saluted on his companion before he walked out. "I'm gonna go now. My stomach is killing me."

The other knight nodded, "Alright. Take plenty of rest----" He suddenly saw a hand holding a handkerchief that was pushed onto his face, suffocating the knight in air as he smelled a peculiar scent on the fabric of the handkerchief.

He tried to call the knight who walked out but the knight was already far away from him. Even when he tried to unsheathe his sword out of his scabbard, a hand was grabbing his left arm where the scabbard is located, while his right arm is locked with the other hand that was suffocating his face.

"Mmfffff!"

The knight struggled for a few seconds, trying to burst out his hands so that he could punch the person suffocating him but all of a sudden, a pitch black mist appeared behind him. The mist molded itself into a shape of a hand and continued to suffocate the knight until he eventually lose his conciousness, dragged by the hand of the black mist inside the tent.

Soon after the knight lost his conciousness, a foot stepped out of the curtain of the tent until that person revealed himself out, wearing a satisfied expression. "Good. All according to plan." The person, who was actually Darcel, murmured to himself as he wander his eyes on the surroundings to see if there are other knights on guard.

"All clear." Darcel whispered. He then proceed to walk to the forest behind the tent while he wore the hood of his cloak in order to hid his face in case someone recognized him.

It was a good thing that Darcel was able to go out at midnight. The knights are already tired and no one will be able to bother him instead of the prince. He can use the body of that unconscious knight and use the black mist in order to change the appearance of that knight to make it look like he was just sleeping at the bed inside the tent.

Darcel looked at his hand and sniffed it with a conflicted expression, "Hmm... This scent is not like any other anesthetic chemical compounds i used. But looks like people in this world are sensitive to herbs. Though i can see that the herb i used was only a weak stimulant, it still worked."

Darcel sighed. Well, this kingdom is more reliant on magic anyway. There are rarely alchemists here. Instead, they use priests to heal sickness and wounds through divine powers.