Chapter 6

WARNING: YOU MAY EXPERIENCE CUTENESS OVERLOAD WHEN READING THIS CHAPTER. CONTINUE READING AT YOU OWN RISK.

I walked down the long tunnel with the love of my life. It was quiet most of the walk there and something inside of my head urged me to say something. 

"Have you ever been to the library?" I asked.

"Yeah. I like the leaf windows. It's really...um..what's the word" he stuttered.

"Relaxing?" I added.

"Yeah," he said turning to look me in my violet eyes. 

We took a sharp turn and headed to the entrance of the library. Starflight was at the front desk organizing scrolls and stamping library cards.

"Hello?" he said. He turned to face us with a smile on his face. Oh, he's blind! I totally forgot!

"It's Teardrop," I said. "...and Prince Turtle."

Turtle nudged me and I could see he was holding in a laugh. He looked so relaxed and free. Like he finally belonged somewhere.

"How are you guys? How was the morning class?" He asked.

"It was um interesting," I said.

"Teardrop missed some of the class because she fain-." Turtle blurted before I grabbed his snout. He let out a small cry that turned into a laugh. 

"Starflight? Do you have any scrolls on the NightWing powers?" I asked letting go of Turtle.

"Yep. Follow me this way." We weaved through the many shelves of scrolls before stopping in front of one. Tap tap tap. Starflight tapped each one of the scrolls. Tap tap tap. "Here. This one has a bit about the NIghtWings Powers and a bit about DarkStalker"

I grabbed the scroll out of his talons and flew up to one of the stone ledges. Turtle followed a little stumbly as he flew up. We landed and I laid down on the moss bedding. I opened the scroll and began reading.

NightWings hatched under one full have the power of mind-reading or prophecy, and those hatched under two have both. hatched under three full moons will have both of these powers, which have been made stronger by the third moon. NightWings once thought that the third full moon gave, though this was later disconfirmed, as animus powers are passed on genetically. The power of the gifts vary, such as having strong foresight. When the NightWings moved to the volcanic island, knowledge of these powers was forgotten, possibly on purpose. NightWing eggs touched by moonlight will turn an eerie polished silver color, while untouched eggs remain an ebony black.

Mind-reading NightWings can observe the thoughts of those around them. They cannot 'rummage around' in another dragon's head, but hear thoughts as the dragon thinks them, often only picking up on jumbled words, pictures, and emotions; thoughts are louder and stronger to the mind reader when they are touching the former. In the time of Darkstalker, dragonets were taught ways to block out the minds of others, though this practice was lost over time without powers. Mind readers can project their thoughts to one another to have mental conversations, and powerful mind readers may be able to block the visions of prophets. Dragons with this power hatched under a blood moon can project their thoughts to any dragon, not just other mind readers.

Prophetic NightWings can see flashes and visions of the future. On occasion, they will have a true prophecy, which will manifest as words rather than a vision in the dragon's head. In the time of Darkstalker, prophets would sometimes take regular visions and translate them to sound like real prophecies. Very powerful prophets may be able to look into the future and follow individual timelines. Futures have been described as 'webs', as they overlap and are easily mixed up. Prophets hatched beneath a blood moon can see terrible events and natural disasters with particular clarity. When NightWings deliver prophecies, their eyes glow and their voices become low and shivery.

I suddenly felt something heavy rest over my body. I looked up from the scroll to see to my surprise: Prince Turtle resting his wing over my body. I blushed and closed the scroll. I laid my head down and closed my eyes. I will only take a quick nap. I told myself before drifting off to sleep.

{WC: 730}

Hi! Was this too cute for you? Well, I want to give credit to the "Wings Of Fire Fandom Wiki: NIghtWing Section" for the segment about the NightWings. I will hopefully post another chapter this weekend or tomorrow. Love you, guys!!