Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Carina took a deep breath. "This isn't my job so Dr. Shepherd, I'll let you read this." Carina handed the file to Amelia and walked near Andy.

Amelia looked over the file and her passive facial expression turned to shock. "Oh, my god."

"Can someone tell me what the heck is going on?" Andy asked, starting to panic.

"Andy, these results show that you have leukemia." Amelia watches Andy's face fall and her eyes tear up. "I'm so sorry, Andy."

Andy's mouth opens and closes like a gaping fish."I'm sorry, what?" Andy asked, shocked.

"Andy, your results show that it's stage two," Amelia told her, pushing Andy toward the bed and helping her get back in. Robert goes to hold Andy's hand.

"So what does that mean?" Andy asked

"It means that there are too many lymphocytes in the blood, the liver or spleen is larger than normal, and the lymph nodes may be larger than normal. " Amelia paused, noting Andy's eyes are still wet and Robert was gripping his wife's hand tighter.

"Is it curable?" Robert asked.

"Stage one is a lot more treatable, and has a larger cure rate. But stage two is a lot more severe. It progresses a lot faster."

"Can she beat it?"

Amelia looks down before looking at Carina and Meredith. Amelia opened her mouth but Meredith saw that she wasn't able to get the words out so she took over.

"Robert, because of the low cure rate, even if she could, she would most likely have to live with the disease and is likely to need ongoing treatment." Meredith paused and swallowed, knowing this next part would break her friend. "Andy, even if we cure it, the lifespan after treatment if a person survives, is five years." Robert gasped and Andy let the tears fall but Meredith continued. "After treatment, it can take months or years to enjoy a healthy life."

"I'm done firefighting even if I survive, aren't I?" Andy asked, voice breaking when she said 'firefighting'.

The three doctors look at each other again.

"Dr. Grey? Is that true?" Robert asked, feeling Andy grip his hand harder.

"It is. I'm so sorry Andy." Amelia told her. "I need to go and check these results. See how we should proceed with treatment." Amelia said and walked out of the room with Andy's results.

Back in the room, Andy let out sobs, Robert hugged her while Carina and Meredith watch the scene with tears in their eyes.

"I- Uh. I should get back to work. I'm getting pages and babies wait for no one." Carina told them, leaving the room.

Meredith watched Robert stand up and kiss Andy's forehead. She was going to turn around and leave the room when Andy called out.

"Mer?" Andy called out, voice small. "What's going to happen?"

"We're going to admit you, and then when we figure out which treatment will be best, we'll get you started on it right away." Meredith watched her eyes close and more tears fall when she opened them. "I'm so sorry, Andy."

Andy just nodded and leaned into Robert as he got on the bed with her. Robert wrapped an arm around her to pull her closer and she just broke down in tears. Robert tried to whisper words of comfort but nothing was working and his heart broke for Andy. The couple stayed in that spot until they both fell asleep.

A couple of hours later

It was closing in at 5 pm when Meredith and Amelia walked back into the hospital room. When they saw that the couple was still asleep they made sure to keep hushed voices.