Chapter 6

VASHTI's POV
One week later

Alex got a call from her sister that their mom was badly sick and she wanted to see him.
The next day,he packed up his things and left. I wanted to go with him but he stopped me and asked me to take over his work. I was a little bit scared because I wasn't sure I would be able to handle it since I stopped working for about 5 years.
"Don't mess things up......if you know you can't handle anything just give me a call I will come back.....and to forget use your head before you sign any deal.......WIFE" was the last words he said to me before leaving the house. No goodbye or even a kiss to even talk about take care of yourself.
I went to our room to look for some office clothes to wear for the next day to work. I searched for some good clothes but I couldn't find any so I made up my mind to go and shop for some clothes.
I picked up some decent clothes at the shop and decided to try them on if it could fit me perfectly. I took the best ones and went ahead to make payment. On my way out, I was stopped my a young guy who wanted to have my contact claiming he could like to take me out if I was free tonight.
"I'm sorry I'm a married woman....go find someone else" I replied him and went straight to my car. I didn't know why I was rude to him. Was it because I was scared of going to my husband's work place to work or scared that I might mess things up at his work place.
I got home and prepared something to eat. I went to freshen up after eating. I couldn't stop thinking about the next day because I was really scared. I didn't want to mess anything up for him to be more upset with me.
I used to work with one of the big companies and I was really good with my work. My boss liked me and always appreciated everything I used to do. The day I told him I was leaving the company, he was so sad that he even told me to stay and he would allow me to leave work anytime I wanted but I shouldn't stop working for him. I wished I stayed but I didn't want to hurt Alex because he told me to stop working. I declined his offer and left.
I sat on our bed thinking about all the choices I've made in life,was it the right or wrong decisions. Even if it was the wrong decision I can't change anything but I can make a change right now for it to change whatever I have to face in the future. I picked up my phone and gave Alex a call but he didn't answer. I wanted to know if he had reached since I've not heard from him yet. I nodded to myself and switched off the lights to sleep.
ring....ring....ring....... I heard my phone ring serval time but I wanted to ignore it because who could be calling me this early morning if not Alex....ah Alex I said "maybe he just saw my call so he is calling back"
"Are you still in bed,wake up and leave for work quickly.....I don't accept lateness from my workers so I don't expect you to be late Wife" I was struggling to get my eyes open when I heard Alex's voice from the other line.
"I'm sorry I will leave right away...how is your mom doing now....you didn't call me yesterday is everything alright"I asked him but before I could get a reply from him he disconnected the call and left me wondering if I had done anything wrong.
I quickly bathed and prepared myself for work.
Starting to work again after 5 years wasn't that easy but I encouraged myself and left to work.
I got to work really late due to traffic. I got inside and was greeted by his employees. I got a little embarrassed because I was late on my first day at work. I replied them with a smile and one lady came to take my bag to accompany me to my husband's office.
They didn't ask me any questions so I was sure my husband told them that I would be taking over from today till he comes back. I asked the secretary to get me all the needed files and reschedule all my husband's meetings because I wanted to read through his files before I met the investors and directors for meetings. I wanted to have a fair idea of what he was meeting them for.
After going through some of his documents, I got out to make myself a cup of coffee.
"Just ask your secretary to get you a cup of coffee next time ma'am .....you don't have to stress yourself and come down to make yourself a coffee" I heard someone said to me. I turned around and looked at the person. To my surprise it was Desmond. I forgot that he was even working for my husband.
"Oh don't worry...I love to make my own coffee and my secretary is busy right now,since I'm free I wanted to get it myself" I replied him and asked how he was doing. I thanked him for all the help I got from him when I was at the hospital. We talked for sometime and I got to know that he was the accountant. He showed me all the paperwork and information I needed to know about my husband's work. After sometime I got back to my office and continued my work.I had a great time with Desmond that I couldn't even stop smiling to myself when I was looking through the documents. It been long since someone made me happy I said to myself.