Chapter 1: Words for Hugo

Harry stepped away from the platform. The steam was still rising from the tracks, obscuring the Hogwarts Express in the distance. With a heavy heart that surprised even himself, he turned and looked at the remainder of his family. His eyes fell on his small, scarlet-haired daughter clinging to his wife's hand. The nine-year-old was crying piteously and Ginny was stroking her hair, though her eyes were impatient and focused on him.

"We should head back," she said over the din. "I need to write up the Cannons exclusive. Any later and the Pitch will have it before the Prophet."

Harry nodded. With a final glance over his shoulder, he followed her towards the exit with the crush of families. Ahead of him, he could just make out a handsome, gangly man with his arm around a slight woman with slumped shoulders. The woman held the hand of a boy stumbling over his own steps. Harry knew their silhouettes anywhere: Ron, Hermione, and their son, Hugo. Like Lily, Hugo was two years away from riding the scarlet steam engine to Hogwarts. Both couples would undoubtedly be dealing with an inconsolable youngest child on the ride home.

Harry thought of calling out to them, but Ginny was saying something.

"Would you mind fixing dinner? I've got to stop by the office. Left the recording there," she said as she fumbled in her bag with one hand and held onto Lily with the other.

Lily's freckled face was blotched, her nose a shiny pink. Harry moved to her other side and took her hand.

"That's fine," he said. "You going to eat too, or just Lily?"

"Just Lily. I might as well write the first draft there," she said, slipping like a linx between two slow-moving couples.

Harry worked his jaw. He wanted to say it might be best for both of them to be around tonight. Lily had just been made a de facto only child, after all. He didn't want to deal with the consequences alone.

But by the time they reached the entrance to the Muggle world, his mind had already shifted to what meal would most cheer Lily. He tightened his grip on his daughter's hand and stepped through the portal.

As Harry opened the car door, someone shouted his name. He turned and grinned, seeing a shock of orange hair moving towards him in the car park.

"I parked over there," said Ron, looking pleased.

Harry could see their Audi in the distance. The car had been Hermione's choice, having vetoed Ron's more ostentatious selection of the latest generation Land Rover that he had hoped to drive down the narrow alleys of London with all the accompanying magical flourishes.

Hermione came up beside her husband, who stood a full foot and a half taller than her. Harry noticed her eyes were ringed red, but she smiled at him. Lily gave a pathetic whine from the backseat.

"Still on for dinner Wednesday?" Harry asked them both.

Harry usually left the Auror Department early on Wednesdays, spending the afternoon at the Auror Training Centre supervising new recruits. That left him free by early evening and he'd visit Ron at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes before heading to either his or Ron and Hermione's house for dinner. It was a tradition from their post-Hogwarts years.

"Of course," said Hermione. "Your turn, I think?"

"Right," said Ginny.

Harry glanced at Hugo, who was gripping his father's belt tightly. His look of utter dejection was almost comical. Kneeling down as he had with Albus only moments ago, Harry came face-to-face with his nephew-a perfect mixture of his two best friends.

"Chin up, all right?" he said, cocking his head to the side. "The year's going to fly by and Rose'll be back in no time. Just focus on your classes so you'll be ready when it's your turn to get on the train."

"I hate my classes!" Hugo blurted.

Ron chuckled while Hermione sucked a breath through her teeth.

"Well, maths and reading are important too," Harry mused. "You can't do anything as a wizard without that."

While magical children under the age of eleven were not allowed a wand, Hugo and Lily attended the same wizarding preparatory school in central London, where they learned the basics of maths, reading, and writing. Necessary skills, but uninspiring in comparison to the Hogwarts curriculum.

"Could be worse, Hugo," said Ron. "At least you're not a Muggle. That's all you'd do the rest of your life."

"Hey," chided Hermione, though she was smiling. "That's not so horrible."

"Bring your Firebolt on Wednesday, then," Harry said to Hugo. "We'll fly with Lily, yeah?"

The boy gave a reluctant grin. "All right."

"Tell Uncle Harry 'bye,' love," said Ginny. "I've really got to get going," she said apologetically to the Weasleys. "My Cannons report..."

"Why report on that?" her brother grunted.

Chudley had lost their last four matches, ruining an unprecedentedly good season for Ron's favorite team. While he and Ginny briefly ran the odds of a Cannons' comeback, Harry kissed the top of Hugo's head and stood. Hermione placed her hands on her son's shoulders, though the boy was rapidly catching up to her height.

"See you Wednesday, then," Harry said to her.

"I'll likely need to stop by on Monday," she said, looking slightly worried. "The Callahan situation is getting serious."

He stuffed his hands in his pockets. "We could get lunch. It's sort of a touchy subject there, understandably."

"That works," said Hermione and, seeing Ron and Ginny's conversation quieting, she pushed herself up on her toes and kissed Harry's cheek. As she pulled away, she whispered, "thanks."

It was so soft, Harry almost wasn't sure he heard it and his brow furrowed in confusion.

"C'mon, Harry," called Ginny as she released her brother from a hug.

Ron, Hermione, and Hugo left, then, and threaded their way through the rows of cars. Turning the key in the ignition, Harry heard Lily cry out again in the back seat like a wounded animal.

"I'm all aloooone."

Harry turned to Ginny, slightly desperate, but she rolled her eyes.

"No, you're not, sweetie," he said. "We're here."

With that, Harry moved the car into the rush of traffic, using a little magic to get past the red light.