Chapter 48: The Little House

They all gathered at Lakey's home to listen to the results. It was a cool October evening, the windows thrown open to the garden, the Wireless barely audible over their laughter and shouted conversations.

When the first results came in, they were a little surprised to learn Valerius Cranborne-the conservative candidate-had done rather well in Birmingham and Leeds. But it was nothing to worry about; it was still early in the night. An hour later, however, when Manchester was called for Cranborne by a narrow margin, they all went rather quiet.

"Half the London vote is still out," Ron said with forced assurance. "There's no way Cranborne gets over that."

Chairwoman Christa Talley, the progressive candidate, was a Scottish member of the Wizengamot. As such, she did well in Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Hogsmeade and held her own in the West Country and Wales. But then the rest of the London vote came in. She'd won the capital by only ten points.

"She needed to win by fifteen, right?" whispered Phoebe, Gwen's wife.

"Or was it twelve?" said Angelina, her face drawn.

All at once, they all became amateur mathematicians and pollsters, shouting at one another to shut up when the Wireless called another county.

Close to midnight, Emi raised her head from her arms.

"How can it be this close?" she murmured, a hard lustre to her eyes. "How can it be this fucking close. After everything he said, after everything he campaigned on? What kind of country is this?"

They all stared numbly at one another. In the next moment, the announcer on the Wireless called Liverpool for Cranborne and, ten minutes later, Chairwoman Talley sent her patronus to Cranborne to concede.

Nicole started crying, Fred rubbing her back. Maisie and Ollie clutched one another's hands. Daniel and Michael stared at the floor, the former's mouth a hard line. Matthew Durkheim chewed his cheek while Thomas and Elena Puckle looked at one another, faces white. Ron held Maggie tightly to his side, her hands running over her swollen belly.

As it broke over them...what it all meant...they all turned to look at John Lakey, the Director of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. The older wizard sat in his armchair, his wife perched on the armrest, their adult daughters and grandchildren arranged all around.

"Now, don't look like that," he said with a wan smile. "I've had the best job of my life for twenty-three years."

Lakey and the other department heads were political appointees. They would all have to resign.

"I'm not working in his DMLE," Emi said fiercely. "Not for that man."

Harry felt Hermione shift beside him. Her face was very pale, eyes bright as she looked at her mentor.

Hermione and Emi were career civil servants. They would not be forced to resign, but there was no way a Cranborne government would let Hermione Granger continue on as Deputy Director of the DMLE. She would be relegated back to a senior counselor role.

Harry's position was secure. While the Minister could offer recommendations, the independent Auror Advisory Council selected and dismissed Auror Chiefs. This was done to ensure the Chief wasn't beholden to the Minister of Magic in the event the AD had to investigate crimes involving the Minister or other senior officials.

"Don't say that," said Lakey, his jovial face hardening like stone. "You've got to stay. We need good people like you."

They all said nothing.

"Besides," Lakey went on with determined cheer, "everyone moderates when they get into government. You'll see. It's all black and white when you're campaigning, but governing...actually governing? Well, that's grey."