Chapter 44: Lost Things

They understood his need for discretion. That's why they let him apparate directly into her office, bypassing the waiting area. So, when he landed there at the appointed time, she wasn't startled.

"Hello," she smiled, standing and walking towards him. "I'm Mallory."

She was tall and had kind, brown eyes. Harry knew from reading her bio sheet that she was a trans woman and, since that mattered fuck all to Harry Potter, he stepped forward and shook her hand.

"Hello."

"Would you like to have a seat?"

"Sure."

He went where she indicated, a modern-looking armchair of non-descript color. There was a small table next to it with a box of tissues and a bowl of chocolates. She sat down across from him in an identical chair while Harry took in the room.

The far wall was lined with books. On the desk, there was a typewriter and many framed photographs (some magical, some Muggle). Near the door, Harry saw a framed certification in potioneering above what looked curiously like a diploma from a Muggle university.

Harry looked back at her. She seemed a bit younger than him by a few years, but there was a long streak of grey in her brown hair. His eyes flicked to the notepad by her chair, but she hadn't picked it up yet.

"How're you feeling?"

"All right, yeah."

"Healer Holbrooke told me you thought you might need to speak to someone?"

Harry nodded. He ran his hands over his legs, not quite sure what to do with them.

"Can you tell me what brings you in today?"

Harry glanced out the window. There were a few plants on the sill, compensating for the dismal view into an alleyway. They were in a squat office building a few blocks from the entrance to Diagon Alley.

"How does it work, then?" he said. "I tell you things and you give me advice?"

She smiled. "Something like that."

"And you can't tell anyone what we talk about?"

"That's right," she said, "with a few exceptions. If someone's in imminent danger, for example, I have to report that."

He nodded.

"Have you ever done therapy before?"

He shook his head.

"Do you know anyone who has?"

He shifted. "My brother-in-law, sorry, my ex-brother-in-law almost went when his twin died...and then...Hermione...after she..." He cleared his throat. "It seemed to help."

Mallory nodded when he said nothing else. "Why don't you tell me what's brought you in?"

Harry looked out the window again.

"Well, I reckon...I haven't been coping too well."

"Coping with what?"

He looked at her. "Surely you read the Prophet."

"I rather hear it from you."

He released a dry breath. "Well, let's see. I am in the middle of a protracted custody battle. My ex-wife has barely said two words to me in five months. Two of my children aren't speaking to me. There's an ongoing inquiry that might cost me my job, the only job I've ever wanted. I'm probably going to lose my entire savings and my home. And...the woman I gave that all up for has left for a grand tour around the world."

"That does sound stressful."

He released another short breath.

"How have you been coping with it?"