Chapter 47: The Mirror

When the press learned the Boy Who Lived and the Brightest Witch of Her Age would join the International Confederation of Wizards delegation on a little-known Scottish isle, where they would come face-to-face with the Australian, it was like the second coming of the Callahan trial.

Every newspaper and Wireless outlet sent at least five correspondents, not counting the foreign press. They filled every bed and breakfast in the Muggle village of North Berwick and the innkeepers, shop-owners, waiters, and baristas all whispered to one another about the strangely-dressed crowd that carried antiquated cameras and green feather quills. Was there some convention or reenactment going on close by? Surely it would've been in the town newsletter?

So when Harry and Hermione-accompanied by Cassy-apparated into an alleyway near the harbor and stepped hesitantly into the sunshine, the press descended.

"What will you say to Owen Hayes, Harry?" shouted one, running to keep up. "How can you be certain there was nothing between them?"

"Do you regret your decision to leave the delegation, Counselor Granger?" yelled another. "Will your visit today do more harm than good?"

"Ron Weasley and Maggie Dwyer marry this spring. When's it wedding bells for you two?" cried a third, holding an outdated bowler hat to his head in the strong wind.

"Chief Potter, care to comment on the photos of your ex-wife and Noah Waldron dining at the Crystal Tavern last night?" said a fourth breathlessly.

"What's your reaction to the news that magical divorces have increased twenty-two percent in the twelve months since your affair was revealed?" shouted a fifth. "The President of the Society for the Preservation of Wizarding Values says you two have fundamentally undermined the sanctity of magical marriages. Is she right?"

The Prophet's law enforcement and security correspondent, Geoffrey Phipps, whom Harry knew well and liked, fell into step beside him.

"Should we take your presence here today as your tacit support for Reunification, Chief Potter?"

"I'm here merely in a personal capacity, Geoff," he said easily, "to thank the coven that saved Counselor Granger's life."

"Seems you could do that any time," the journalist returned wryly. "Why come now?"

Harry pretended he hadn't heard.

They reached the docks and, after some searching, Hermione spotted Mr. Campbell, their boatman from nearly three years ago.

"We need to get to Fidra, Mr. Campbell," she said after greeting him.

"Aye," he grunted, eyes on the reporters shoving one another as they fought to secure their own boats, all of them struggling with the Muggle currency. "We've known yer coming. Get in, then."

Harry helped Hermione and Cassy into the dinghy and then they were skipping along the low, grey waves that stayed curiously calm even in the blustering wind.

As the craggy, green-topped isle drew close, Harry looked over his shoulder at the small armada of motorized boats following them.

"Not very low-key," he murmured in Hermione's ear.

She smiled.

Mr. Campbell directed their boat towards the rocky isthmus between the two cliffs of Fidra, where Harry could see the coven-in characteristic homespun robes of undyed wool-and the ICW delegation waiting for them.

Several yards from shore, Mr. Campbell cut the engine and the flotilla gathered around them. In the next moment, the water on the left side of their boat parted, revealing a perfectly dry path to shore. Similar paths appeared for the other boats and the journalists stared at one another. Such a degree of water displacement was hard magic.