Chapter 4: What's Coming

Upon a directive from the Minister, Harry gave the Prophet several quotes about the Callahan case in the large pressroom adjoining the Ministry Atrium. He tried to be forthright, but there was certain information he felt best to leave obscure.

"Do you know what spells Callahan used on the Muggles, Chief Potter?" a doughy reporter asked.

"I'm not a liberty to discuss an ongoing investigation," he said for the fourth time.

"Chief Potter," said a young female journalist, "do you know who the government prosecutor will be against Callahan?"

Hermione's set, determined face flashed through his mind.

"That's a question for the Director of Magical Law Enforcement. I leave it to his good judgment."

Harry gathered his things in a darkened office. It was past ten o'clock and two dozen Aurors remained on duty in their cubicles. As Harry walked through the deserted Atrium towards the massive stone fireplaces on either side if the hall, he looked up towards DMLE, which had several offices facing out onto the Atrium. While Hermione's did not, he thought he saw a faint glimmer through the windowpanes that corresponded to her office down the hall.

Minutes later, Harry stood in his own hearth. He was shaking the soot off his robes when he heard footsteps.

"Hey, Gin."

"I wish you'd told me you'd be this late," she said, briefly embracing him. "Mum had to watch Lily while I was at the Tornadoes match."

"Sorry," he said, rubbing at his eyes. "I didn't plan on staying late. It wasn't much trouble for your mum, was it?"

"No, it was fine," she shrugged. "Are you hungry? Mum left some kind of casserole."

"No, I'm all right. I'm knackered."

Ginny nodded and he moved towards the stairs before stopping abruptly.

"Oh, I forgot to mention-"

But Ginny cut him off with a gasp. "Oh, Harry! How could I forget to tell you? We got an owl from Albus. He was sorted into Gryffindor! Isn't that wonderful?"

Harry grinned widely, the news cutting through his fatigue. "That's fantastic."

"Poor thing," she grinned. "So worried he'd end up in Slytherin. I think your little talk on the platform calmed his nerves. Did you really ask the Sorting Hat to be put in Gryffindor?"

"Sure, I asked," he said. "I was terrified of Slytherin myself."

"So the Hat was actually thinking of putting you in Slytherin?"

"I think it was," Harry said honestly, a little bemused. He thought he'd told Ginny that.

"Thank Merlin, it didn't," she said, crinkling her face distastefully.

Harry had to smile at the childlike gesture. "Oh, it's not that bad now. Albus would've managed."

"Please," she said, closing her eyes. "Don't even think about it."

He chuckled softly.

"Oh, and Rose is in Gryffindor. Good on the Hat to keep our family together."

"Great," Harry smiled. "I'll write to Albus before I leave. I'll likely be on assignment all day tomorrow, so don't worry about dinner."

"On assignment?" Ginny repeated, perking up.

Harry hadn't been on an assignment in several weeks. The word usually meant he couldn't give her any details.

"This doesn't have to do with the Callahan situation, does it?" she asked curiously "It's been incredibly hard to get the details on that case."

Harry looked at his feet, thinking of the vague comments he'd given her Prophet colleagues that morning.