Chapter Thirty-Five: Attack and Conquer

We jump up into the trees with our pack gear. This was all too familiar to me, it reminded me of whrn I was with the Hunters.

But now, we are chasing the Hunters, and I am not alone. Yet, even though I am surrounded by other wolves, I feel so disconnected, especially with Shade.

I stay a little ways back from the rest of the group, observing their actions and their communication signals. I figured out most of their hand signs, and noticed each individuals method of moving between trees.

We came upon a large building, and Shade signaled for us to jump down and lay low. I silently dropped down from the trees and watched as the guards at the entrance were taken care of quickly.

They ran forward and scaled the wall before dashing back into the trees. The building suddenly explodes in a massive blast, sending debris everywhere.

Shade breathed out heavily once they were back in the safety of the forest.

"What is that now? Like 25-32 compounds already in two months?" Shade laughs, laying down in the grass and looking up at the sunny sky.

"I think that's about right," Aiden says beside her. The other two, Like and Camryn nod, and I just sit there staring.

"That many? We all thought you were dead, and you've just been playing around with the Hunters?" I yell at Shade. She just shrugs, nodding, and puts her hands behind her head.

I growl lowly and grumble about how rude she is. Shade pulls out the map and points out where we were going next. Everyone nods and she rolls the map back up, putting it in her backpack.

A fire is made and everyone starts to settle down. I scale a tree, and rest on a lower branch. My eyes are closed, but I am alert.

Everyone else is asleep, and ai hear rustling. I open one eye to see Shade leaving the campsite. I drop down from my branch, and silently follow Shade.

I hear her hiss in pain, and I walk out from behind a tree, pretending to rub the sleep from my eyes.

"What did you do this time?" I ask walking over to sit down.

"I was going to go hunting and got careless," she says wincing in pain and giving a pointed look at the dagger in her hand. I guess she cuts herself somehow.

I took her hand in mine and rolled up the sleeve. My eyes catch on the scar from a bullet wound, and I sigh shaking my head.

"You really haven't changed much with how careless you are," I say with a small smile.

"No, I guess I haven't. You did not just come back here to find me did you?" She asks. I confirm her suspicions and she smiles.

No, I also came to make sure you're okay and to take care of you, I think sadly.

"I want to go back to the way I was, I don't want to kill anyone after we finish this," she says pulling her arm from my grip. She puts her dagger away and stands up.

I get up after and think about what she said. I wish I could be like that, and not kill anybody after this, I think.

You really think that is going to happen? Ira snorts.