Chapter 20

Nicole's POV

"Here," one of Ellen's workers, a middle-aged man with a brunette goatee, said while tapping me on the bridge of my left shoulder. After turning to face him, he placed a tiny ebony microphone in the palm of my right hand. I replied with a soft "thank you" and fixed the attachable instrument on the strap of my costly, yet casual yellow sundress. An entangled umber Gucci scarf fell over my evident collarbones, and the matching Gucci flats acted as cozy beds for the soles on my feet.

Although my attire gave the impression that I seemed like a pleasant and sophisticated woman, I felt that I was indeed far from it. In fact, I was raging in my thoughts. I hated this floral sunlit-colored gown with a passion; it made me look pregnant. That wasn't the only opposition, though. Never in my life would I clash these flats with this dress -- it just wasn't my style.

But then again, I wouldn't even be near expensive flats, an expensive dress, and an expensive necklace if I weren't "so involved" in the fame business. What made it even worse was that Keisha forced me to wear it, and both God and Satin knew I couldn't complain nor start an argument with her. Considering the situation that had taken place last noon, it was a smart decision to keep my mouth shut, fake a smile, and nod.

However, maybe it wasn't the fabric I was clothed in that got me so uptight. I knew well that the quarrel -- despite the fact that any of us were going to discuss it even further -- was still continuing. Since the managers had ordered me to continue the stunt (simply because I had gotten myself into the situation), it was safe to say that I was still irked. In my mind, I couldn't process Prodigy's scenerio of him creating a story involving us acting couple-like just to see if his feelings for me were "true," whatever that meant. Honestly, I was slowly easing towards the conclusion that Prodigy was using me as what a puppeteer would do to their puppet. What a pianist mastermind would do to get its talented being noticed -- every act that had been committed was all for the fame and entertainment.

In spite of the fact that I am absolutely enraged with the boy's actions, I couldn't find the strength within me to completely resent him. Speaking logical, we have been inseperable since the day we learned how to talk. Even before we were given knowledge of each other's names, our mothers constantly sat us besides each other to play with the inanimate cars and plastic, feminine-like figures on the side during their daily chitchats. By that, we knew the physique of both our faces as mere infants, and we could notice it within the first glance. It became an understanding that the boy with the defined jawline, chocolate complexion, mesmerizing brown orbs, and bright personality would be the boy I'd be with till my days in the grave. And oddly enough, I was somewhat happy with that... somewhat.

"Nicole," called a voice resembling Walter's. I turned my direction to see him clustered amongst Ellen's workers. "You'll be appearing when either Ellen or one of the boys call you. You know that, right?"

I silently grunted, feeling the heat of irritation dash through my veins. I've been constantly reminded that even before I laid the tip of my Gucci flats onto Ellen's extensive studio.

A while ago, I've seen Prodigy punch Princeton from afar, so I knew that both Walter and Keisha had to think on their feet and create a bunch of more lies to say to the eyewitnesses. It was a shocker seeing Prodigy meet violent means; he wasn't raised that way. Now, the current fibs were piling the ones we are already buried in, and I knew they'd continue to stock the mountain just so they can save Mindless Behavior's reputation. Because of that, the stress and over-exerted effort was most likely wearing Walter out.

Refusing to anger him any further, I quickly nodded my head. Walter shot me a strict glare, as if he were unsure of my actions, then directed himself back to the employees.